Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How can you recover lost session data? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=227853)

mazerr 09-07-2008 08:27 PM

How can you recover lost session data?

Hello there.

I'm using ProTools LE 7.3 and had an access command violation for the first time ever. When I was closing a session and the Save/Don't Save/Cancel box came up any selection caused the access command violation and I could not close the program without having to ctrl.alt.delete out.

Now when I opened up the same file the data is gone. The audio/wav files are still in their respective folder, but I cannot recover them as tracks as they were. Could anyone provide some guidance on how to recover the files?

thanks
Bob

albee1952 09-07-2008 09:00 PM

Re: How can you recover lost session data?

If you have AutoSave turned on(highly recommended) you may get all or nearly all back by going into the backup folder and grabbing the last backup.

RD423 09-07-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 1280558)
If you have AutoSave turned on(highly recommended) you may get all or nearly all back by going into the backup folder and grabbing the last backup.

2nd that motion, I have my autosave set to save every minute. Had a lot of crashes on an older system.

sambeau 09-08-2008 10:35 AM

Autosave - yes!

If you didn't have it & you still need the files, you can import them into your session. The negative there is that they are just the audio files & you may need to reconstruct or move around the files to get back to where you were.

sir d 09-09-2008 07:23 PM

I am not sure if this is what was being suggested but what you could do is create a new session and use the import session data command to import the tracks from the session that will not open.

That way if you had any plug-ins on the tracks it will bring those in as well and preserve fader settings etc.

GTBannah 09-09-2008 08:07 PM

Doesn't "AutoSave" save the project "as is", with everything in place, including plug-ins and "files in place"?

albee1952 09-10-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTBannah (Post 1281184)
Doesn't "AutoSave" save the project "as is", with everything in place, including plug-ins and "files in place"?

Yes it does. It should open and look exactly as it looked when it saved. If you DO successfully open an Auto-saved version, choose File>Save As. and give it an updated name(it will be your new session icon to open the session with). That's what I do anyway but as always, do what makes sense for you. Hope you retrieve your session.

DigiTechSupt 09-11-2008 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazerr (Post 1280554)
Hello there.

I'm using ProTools LE 7.3 and had an access command violation for the first time ever. When I was closing a session and the Save/Don't Save/Cancel box came up any selection caused the access command violation and I could not close the program without having to ctrl.alt.delete out.

Now when I opened up the same file the data is gone. The audio/wav files are still in their respective folder, but I cannot recover them as tracks as they were. Could anyone provide some guidance on how to recover the files?

thanks
Bob

This sounds like you are descibing a bug that was fixed in 7.3.1 (1/10/07). The latest cs update will include this fix which you can download here:
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=32373

However, your files are probably lost for good. So, all I can offer you is that you get this 7.3.1cs7 update installed asap to prevent this problem from occuring again. And, in the future please check our website for software updates which include important bug fixes.