Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

Wheeltard 12-04-2007 05:50 PM

Re: Mac Mixes!!!!!!!!

Jimbo,
That's mighty fine stuff you got going there. The demo nature of it is very Elliot Smith/Nick Drake in production value. But the songwriting and execution is definitely hip and current.

I just posted a new one as well on myspace -- it's called Ninethirteen. I need to take another pass at this mix as it is just way too thin right now. But at least most of the heavy lifting is done. Now the endless ironing (production) of my shirt (song), or whatever that analogy is. Critique and comments are much appreciated.
Wheels

Darney 12-05-2007 11:34 AM

I have some new tracks that I produced and engineered for Cuba's second CD "Epilogue"....

Photography
In Between Things
High Fidelity

Are available to listen to at:

http://myspace.com/cubamusic

All were recorded on PT LE 7.3, Dual 1.6G Mac 4G memory, Drums were through an SM Pro Audio preamp with ADAT out - PG56's on Toms sometimes, PG52 on the kick, otherwise ATM801 omnis for overheads, snare mic was usually PG81, Bass was direct via Presonus Blue preamp, Vocals recorded with a Sterling Audio ST66 tube, acoustic guitars were either a Groove Tubes GT40 tube mic or Sony ECM22P (depending upon the song), electrics were recorded with AKG D202E's (WHAT! Not an SM57? - great mic, but try the AKG if you want a balanced electric amp), sometimes used a Digitech VTP-1 for the guitar preamp.. compressors/limiters, you wouldn't believe me if I told ya!

Comments welcome!!!

Don

skip b 12-06-2007 05:27 AM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

As Usual, Great Work! Mark.

bassplayer01 12-10-2007 06:56 AM

Don- nice job. Sounds like it was fun working with those guys. Please give a detailed list of what you used for the guitars!

bassplayer01 12-10-2007 07:01 AM

Jimbo- those guitars sound great. Care to tell us how you did it and what type of PT set up you are using?

Darney 12-10-2007 08:01 AM

Thanks! Yes, it was fun. My second CD for them.

Electric guitars were mic'd using an AKG D202E about 6 inches from the center of the speaker of a Fender Pro Jr. Distortion was a Tube Screamer. Guitar on In Between Things was an acoustic Takamine through a Digitech RP80. Acoustic guitar on High Fidelity was a Martin mic'd with Groove Tubes GT40 tube mic and a Sony ECM 22P.

bassplayer01 12-10-2007 10:12 AM

The guitar on "In Between Things" was a acoustic? Which one?

Darney 12-10-2007 10:49 AM

Heh... yes... the one with wah on it is an acoustic guitar through the RP80. one of the other guitars is a Les Paul being played with an eBow and then through a Moogerfooger filter.. it's the drone guitar.. the guitar on the percussion break is an ESP electric through a Pro Jr.

hit_maker 12-14-2007 12:59 AM

Hey guys... I am a newbie to recording. I would love some feedback on my mixes!! To be honest I am still learning and I think they sound like crap, but you be the judge! I don't know how to achieve that industry quality sound, and I don't even know if it's possible with my setup. Click on the link in my signature and it will direct you to my myspace page. Please take a listen to "revival instrumental", "I won't forget this" and "life".

Thanks!

Darney 12-14-2007 05:30 AM

Basically, not too bad. experiment with mic placement.
Watch the autopan stuff - it's annoying and distracting on Revival..
Try touches of EQ to give better identity to the instruments.. be careful with compression.. dynamics are part of song writing.

Overall.. good start.. interesting music.

For a beginner, VERY good.. better than some people I know who've been doing it for years.

Keep us updated on what you're doing.

Don