Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Freeze vs Commit (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417974)

midnightrambler 12-01-2021 06:08 AM

Re: Freeze vs Commit

Quote:

Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing (Post 2620834)

I also usually commit Melodyne when I'm done tuning because I love the Clip Gain line for automation.

Steve

Ha. I've found myself doing a lot of that within the Melodyne environment of late.

Mixmaster Rick 12-01-2021 12:35 PM

Hi,

For me the CPU hit is minimal; it's more about how to retain as much memory as possible.

JFreak 12-01-2021 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mixmaster Rick (Post 2620924)
Hi,

For me the CPU hit is minimal; it's more about how to retain as much memory as possible.

Yes, freezing/commiting also frees up memory (after session restart).

albee1952 12-01-2021 01:15 PM

I use Freeze as a strictly temporary thing and unfreeze when the session is ready to close. I can always re-freeze the next time, or I will COMMIT, and leave the original track inactive but showing if I think I will need to make changes. With Melodyne, I will select "Do Nothing" to the original track and move the .cm audio file back to the original track on a new Playlist and make Melodyne inactive(or remove it). You have many options, so find what suits you best;)

take77 12-01-2021 04:14 PM

Thanks Steve, for reminding me of the commit up to insert feature.
I'll have to read up since I'm just getting back into everything.

Extreme Mixing 12-02-2021 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnightrambler (Post 2620841)
Ha. I've found myself doing a lot of that within the Melodyne environment of late.

Yes. I've done it both ways. Clip Gain is just more normal to my habits. There is nothing worse than adjusting some clips only to realize that nothing is changing because PT is not really playing back the pretty pictures that you are looking at! But it all works. Timing changes are usually best done in Melodyne. For me...

Steve

midnightrambler 12-02-2021 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing (Post 2621124)
Yes. I've done it both ways. Clip Gain is just more normal to my habits. There is nothing worse than adjusting some clips only to realize that nothing is changing because PT is not really playing back the pretty pictures that you are looking at! But it all works. Timing changes are usually best done in Melodyne. For me...

Steve

Ha yeah! The number of times I go to a mute a clip and then... d'oh!

Mixmaster Rick 12-03-2021 06:00 AM

When using Freeze or Commit what is the impact if I use any Automation on the track?

Sardi 12-03-2021 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mixmaster Rick (Post 2621216)
When using Freeze or Commit what is the impact if I use any Automation on the track?

Automation will be visible on the frozen track as its just rendering the audio in place.

Commit will print the automation onto the newly rendered file if you tick the boxes. Otherwise you can choose to not have the volume, pans, mutes etc. printed.

Have you tried either? A dialog box will pop up when you go to commit and you can see all this stuff pretty clearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mixmaster Rick 12-03-2021 06:41 AM

Thanks! I haven't tried either yet as I am in the middle of a project but I expect I'll try both out very soon.