Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Virtual Instruments (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Multiple Virtual Instrument Playback while recording (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=231145)

eklektos 11-03-2008 10:38 AM

Multiple Virtual Instrument Playback while recording

I am new to Pro Tools and I am running version 7.4. I have been having an issue where when I record an instrument track using USB Midi and using the instruments from Xpand. When I record one instrument I want to be able to play the first already recorded instrument while recording another instrument track using Xpand. The issue is the first instrument triggers along with my second instrument that I am recording. An example would be I lay a pad instrument track down and then I want to hear that pad instrument track playback while I lay a horn instrument track but while I am recording the horn track I hear the pad instrument track triggering.

I also don't have the pad record enabled while I am recording the horn track. I made sure of that.

77pro 11-03-2008 11:38 AM

Re: Multiple Virtual Instrument Playback while recording

Quote:

Originally Posted by eklektos (Post 1300702)
I am new to Pro Tools and I am running version 7.4. I have been having an issue where when I record an instrument track using USB Midi and using the instruments from Xpand. When I record one instrument I want to be able to play the first already recorded instrument while recording another instrument track using Xpand. The issue is the first instrument triggers along with my second instrument that I am recording. An example would be I lay a pad instrument track down and then I want to hear that pad instrument track playback while I lay a horn instrument track but while I am recording the horn track I hear the pad instrument track triggering.

I also don't have the pad record enabled while I am recording the horn track. I made sure of that.

You can either bus the first instrument to an audio track and record it, or open another instance of Xpand on another track. Xpand is not multi-timbral, so one instance will only play one part.

flommer 11-03-2008 11:50 AM

I suspect this might have something to do with the "MIDI Thru" setting, not sure...

But you can at least force what you want to happen by changing the "MIDI Input" of the already recorded Inst track to "none".

I think you will need to enable viewing the MIDI section of Inst tracks in the MIX window... (By default it does not view) I'm pretty sure you can view it in the Edit window too, but I find it to be more appropriate in the MIX window.

By default the MIDI input would be set to "ALL"... just change that to a MIDI channel that your controller is NOT transmitting or change it to "None"

Just to be clear, you are ONLY using inst tracks, right? You don't need MIDI tracks if you are using inst tracks (with xpand at least)

eklektos 11-03-2008 01:17 PM

Thank you so much for responding. It really means alot. I will try these suggestions out tonight when I can work on it.

Thanks.

Shanegrla 11-08-2008 04:13 PM

This may be way too easy a fix, but it sounds to me like you might just have the first pad track still highlighted (the area that shows the track name is selected). Try clicking on the tiny color strip at the very top of the horn track so that it selects that track instead. That's the track that will now be playing what you're recording.