Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Routing folders don't synch!!?? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=415591)

BLG 06-01-2021 07:03 PM

Routing folders don't synch!!??

I'm working with a bass player using PT Cloud and I recently learned about routing folders and was psyched to set up our project using them extensively, but when he downloads the project there are no folders. WTF!?!? Seriously? Am I missing something? I couldn't believe we just facetimed and he showed me his screen and what appear as folders for me just show up as tracks for him.

Anyone get this working?

musicman691 06-02-2021 04:22 AM

Re: Routing folders don't synch!!??

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLG (Post 2603346)
I'm working with a bass player using PT Cloud and I recently learned about routing folders and was psyched to set up our project using them extensively, but when he downloads the project there are no folders. WTF!?!? Seriously? Am I missing something? I couldn't believe we just facetimed and he showed me his screen and what appear as folders for me just show up as tracks for him.

Anyone get this working?

Are you both using the same PT version?

BLG 06-02-2021 09:24 AM

Yes - same version. Both 2021.3.1. He is on a Mac though while I'm on PC.

JingleDjango 06-02-2021 09:56 AM

That's right. They'll open as AUX tracks instead. I suggest using a cloud service like Dropbox, OneDrive, iCloud etc for collaborative work. PT Cloud is a hot mess.

BLG 06-02-2021 10:03 AM

But Dropbox et.al. don't allow live collaboration and you can't work on the project at the same time - right?

JingleDjango 06-02-2021 10:56 AM

That's right. Do a little digging in these forums and you'll find plenty of reasons why it's not worth the trouble.

Ben Jenssen 06-02-2021 03:45 PM

PT cloud is one thing, so is the mac/pc xchange, but also my experience with routing folder is that it too is not fully functional. When I tried it out, I got anomalities such as them not remembering open/collapsed staus on re-open, and even reopening with a horrible delay just on the folder track. Close, reopen fixed it.
I'll try them again when they fix them.

musicman691 06-02-2021 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen (Post 2603417)
PT cloud is one thing, so is the mac/pc xchange, but also my experience with routing folder is that it too is not fully functional. When I tried it out, I got anomalities such as them not remembering open/collapsed staus on re-open, and even reopening with a horrible delay just on the folder track. Close, reopen fixed it.
I'll try them again when they fix them.

I've had such issues with track folders and that's why I don't use them. Not ready for prime time would be the phrase to use.

K Roche 06-03-2021 05:51 AM

Dont use PT cloud so no help there but as a side note :

Seems I remember a thread about Routing Folder issues but am not sure where it is .

Interestingly so far I use Routing folders in all my sessions but have not had any of the issues being mentioned ?? They always are open or closed based on how I saved and closed the session. And have not noticed any delay problems

Here is one of my templates. with three routing folders for each type of guitar, and one for vocals as well .
So if I choose this template, it launches with the Acoustic Rhythm Guitar (Folder) open ( far left ) so I can just hit record on the two tracks and go .

Now I do happen to have the plugins in DSP mode , but I don't remember it being and issue if I have them in Native mode BUT I will experiment with this and report back

https://i.imgur.com/G64UXr9h.png

JingleDjango 06-03-2021 06:33 AM

Without meaning to discount other users' experiences, I also haven't had any serious issues with folder tracks, routing or otherwise. I've incorporated them into my mix templates for months and enjoyed the upgraded workflow.