Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Focusrite 18i20 with PT 10? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=416852)

rickymix 09-02-2021 11:58 PM

Focusrite 18i20 with PT 10?

Hi, I'm running PT 10.3.3.111 on OSX 10.8.5. Everything works great using my Mbox Pro, Gen3. But wanting more mic inputs I recently bought a Focusrite 18i20, 2nd Generation.
Unfortunately, the drivers/software won't install, apparently due to the computer's OSX 10.8.5. The Focusrite's clock locks into ProTools and the USB connection works, but I can't get an audio connection working. I just need the mic pre's signal to go into ProTools' record channels.
Is there some work-around? Or is this simply impossible?
Thanks, Rick.

albee1952 09-05-2021 08:32 AM

Re: Focusrite 18i20 with PT 10?

Hmmm, a few things to check:
1-you need a working driver for the Focusrite that is compatible with your OS.
2-once installed, you need to set the "audio engine" in Pro Tools(Setup>Hardware) to use the Focusrite(if you still have the Mbox connected, that may still be the selected audio engine)
3-Once the Focusrite is set as the audio engine, go into Setup>IO and make sure all the inputs and outputs are showing(if not, you might delete all and then hit the DEFAULT button for both Inputs and Outputs)
4-since you're on a Mac, it may be possible to setup an aggregate IO setup which could use both interfaces(but I run PC and don't know how its done)

rickymix 09-05-2021 10:48 AM

Thanks Dave. Yeah, the problem is that the Focusrite drivers won't install on my OSX 10.8.5, and my PT v10 won't run on a newer OSX. (I'm not trying to run the Focusrite AND the Mbox concurrently). I tried to install the previous Gen 1 Focusrite drivers, but that didn't work either. Planned obsolescence, apparently.

albee1952 09-05-2021 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickymix (Post 2612675)
Thanks Dave. Yeah, the problem is that the Focusrite drivers won't install on my OSX 10.8.5, and my PT v10 won't run on a newer OSX. (I'm not trying to run the Focusrite AND the Mbox concurrently). I tried to install the previous Gen 1 Focusrite drivers, but that didn't work either. Planned obsolescence, apparently.

Did you ask Focusrite for a driver that works with your OS? They may still have that, even if they don't show it as an available download:o

rickymix 09-10-2021 01:49 PM

Thanks Dave. I found and downloaded several older Focusrite drivers, and managed to get the Scarlett to work. Kind of.
The Mac's "Audio Devices" sees the "Scarlett 18i20 USB" device, and the word-clock locks in. It shows the correct 44.1K Format and "18ch-24bit integer" Input, and "20ch-24bit integer" Output. ProTools sees the Scarlett as "Inputs 1-8, and all 8 channels record simultaneously, no problem. But the Volumes on all channels, In and Out, are stuck at almost zero.
But a little audio does come through. Singing at moderate volume through a Shure SM57, with the Scarlett's Mic Volume knob cranked all the way up to 10, I get a decent volume, and if I sing loud I can get it to barely clip. The sound quality seems OK; a little raspy, but that could be my morning voice.
It just seems weird that Scarlett mic pres are so low-volume, even compared to my Mbox Gen 3, let alone my APIs. Could that be normal?

albee1952 09-10-2021 02:09 PM

It doesn't sound normal to me:o Wish I had more ideas but as a Windows user, I'm lost on the next move:o