Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | Intro Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Looking for recommendations for SSD drive (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=416374)

soundartsonline 07-26-2021 09:06 AM

Looking for recommendations for SSD drive

What brand and type do you recommend?

An external drive would be easiest.

Running Protools 11 on a Mac osx/ Yosemite on one drive (bootable).
Then Protools 12 / High Sierra on the hard drive. I switch back and forth as needed right now for one particular project, though mostly working in 11.

Thank you in advance!

Lisa

albee1952 07-26-2021 12:24 PM

Re: Looking for recommendations for SSD drive

Samsung is tops and I have seen several reports of success with their T5/T7 models(not sure what the difference is):o

TOM@METRO 07-26-2021 03:04 PM

+1 for Samsung.

Ben Jenssen 07-26-2021 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundartsonline (Post 2608833)
An external drive would be easiest.

Running Protools 11 on a Mac osx/ Yosemite on one drive (bootable).
Then Protools 12 / High Sierra on the hard drive. I switch back and forth as needed right now for one particular project, though mostly working in 11.

What mac model you have? Year? Processor?
Makes a difference. To know what are the best options.

junkgear 07-26-2021 05:18 PM

Glyph makes great external drives.

soundartsonline 07-26-2021 05:48 PM

Hi Ben,

In answer to your question here are my specs:

Turning into a dinosaur about to roam the earth:
iMac Mid 2011
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Been hearing about the have G-Force RAID drives as being superior to SSD. What are your thoughts about that?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Lisa

Ben Jenssen 07-26-2021 06:03 PM

I'm guessing you have this one:
Imac 2011 Everymac.com

The main reason I ask is its connection ports.
There are two USB and one Firwire800 ports.
Now, what type of external SSD and what type of connection that would make most sense, I simply don't have the answer. Maybe someone else?

My first thought is; Investing in a internal SSD might give you the most bang for the buck. Those ports are not fast, and a internal SSD would beat them speed-wise, I think.

I once swapped out the internal disk on a imac 2010 with a cheap SSD, and it really made a big difference.

Sardi 07-27-2021 05:22 AM

Looking for recommendations for SSD drive

The only connection on that iMac that will make use of the drive speed of an SSD is the TB port.

USB2 is about 60MB/s, FW800 is about 100MB/s and TB1 is about 1.25GB/s.

An SSD will have an average of about 500MB/s read/write speed. So, on your machine, it’s pointless using one in anything other than a TB enclosure. If you had USB3, that would be your best option. Unfortunately, your machine only has USB2.

What Ben says above about installing it on the internal SATA port would be your best option if you don’t go the TB enclosure route. Be careful though as those machines aren’t the easiest to work on. Been there, done that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben Jenssen 07-27-2021 06:13 AM

Thanks, Sardi, for making that clear for us.
The question is, Lisa; are you looking for an upgrade to your old internal HD, as in a faster drive, or just more storage space. I think that's the question.

soundartsonline 07-27-2021 12:55 PM

Thanks everyone for your amazing suggestions. So helpful!

Ben,

I guess the answer is "both". As I've been "running out of resources" in Protools 11 due to plugins enabled, I thought it would be good to see what other options there are for my poor dinosauric (is that word, it is now) machine.

The good news is that Protools 11 was much more stable yesterday after disabling a bunch of greedy plugins.....so I can get my current project done.

Thanks!

Lsia