Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Getting Started (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Can't find proper I/O in my computer (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=421722)

kerosene4uu 09-22-2022 04:25 AM

Can't find proper I/O in my computer

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I installed Protools for 1st tie, but it doesn't sound.If I go to the tutorial videos I/O Setup - Inputs and Outputs, I can't find the same number of options that appear in the video when I go to Setup.It does not appear I/O set up.I enclose a screenshot of what appears
Thanks
I enclose report:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Missing Inputs
The input "Input 1" on track "Audio 1" is not available in the current I/O setup.
The input "Input 1" on track "Audio 2" is not available in the current I/O setup.
The input "Input 1-2" on track "Audio 3" is not available in the current I/O setup.
The input "Input 1-2" on track "Audio 4" is not available in the current I/O setup.

Darryl Ramm 09-22-2022 08:47 AM

Re: Can't find proper I/O in my computer

What audio interface are you trying to use?

You typically have to (but not always) install a device driver from the interface manufacturer.

Connect the interface.

Start Pro Tools and select that interface as the playback engine Setup>Playback Engine.

If the I/O still does not look correct then on each I/O page Setup>IO>{Input,Output,Bus} select all the I/O paths with SHIFT click and then click the Delete button, then click the Default button.

kerosene4uu 09-22-2022 12:51 PM

Thanks a lot for your response.I'm afraid that apart from my Imac the unique interface I got its a MAudio keystation 49 keyboard, but it wasn't connected at that time.Do I need other?

nsureit 09-22-2022 02:13 PM

Your MAudio Keystation is a keyboard controller, not an interface. You will need a simple audio interface to get started. The audio interface connects to your computer. Its function is to allow you to record and play music using software (Pro Tools) and hardware such as microphones, guitars and your keyboard. The interface device allows your computer to connect to and use your hardware to record and convert sound to digital signals that you can edit and listen to with Pro Tools.

Focusrite and other manufacturers offer relatively inexpensive entry level interfaces, like this one: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Focusri...urce=4SOS0DRBA

The maker of your new interface should have plenty of links to literature and videos which will show you how to set things up to begin recording and playing tracks on Pro Tools.

Good luck!

Darryl Ramm 09-22-2022 02:39 PM

What are you trying to do artistically? What do you want to record etc.?

The M-49 is a MIDI keyboard it is not an interface.

If you are just wanting to use virtual instruments (VIs) in Pro Tools you can use the mac's Built-In Output (or whatever it's called on your Mac) as the playback engine. And use the M-29 to play MIDI into the virtual instrument.

If you want to record audio (vocals, instruments e.g. acoustic or electric guitars or basses, etc. instruments, etc.) then you need to get a separate interface. A common beginner interface is the Focusrite 2i2 but there are many other great interfaces from simple to very feature rich from vendors such as (in no specific order:) Apollo, RME, Motu, Focusrite, Universal Audio, Presonus, ... You should look through the website of major resellers like Thomann Music to get an idea what is available, what different features are offered (and work out if you need them), etc.

If you describe what you are trying to do, what your budget is and what other equipment, esp. Microphones you have folks here can recommend interfaces.

kerosene4uu 09-22-2022 02:54 PM

Thanks again.I'm a saxophonist, and my first aim is to construct backing tracks to play, but far beyond Ireal. Not to play standards, but to begin composing.I got a Rode NT mic,that I use for web conference but good enough to record my sax.And I bought the Maudio keystation for begin creating songs. But for now, I only want to create backing tracks.If I feel comfortable I will think about purchasing a ProTools license later.
Cheers

Darryl Ramm 09-22-2022 05:10 PM

You mean a Rode NT-USB mic? If so... That's not really want you want with recoding with Pro Tools. You want an interface that has some mic preamps in it and a traditional analog mic typically connected to the interface via analog XLR cables.

You might get away with creating a CoreAudio aggregate IO device--in Audio MIDI setup consisting of the USB mic and the Build-In Output (or whatever it's called on your Mac) and then using that as the playback engine. This might work because you won't be monitoring the sax recording as you track...so latency is not an issue, the sax is too loud/in your head anyhow just listen to the backing track though headphones maybe with one ear cuff slipped off. .. but generally aggregate IO devices are not what you want to use.

If you are after a mic to use with an interface I'd be looking for a small diaphragm condenser mic or a ribbon mic if you want to pick up more room/ambient tone. Prices will vary widely and scarily.

kerosene4uu 09-23-2022 12:43 AM

Thanks, but I only quoted you all the equipment I have.The microphone I only use now for Teams as I telework.I bought a good one thinking about recording in the future, but now it's not my priority.Now I just want to create some bases to play on.For that, what do I need concretely?later, as I told you, if I see possibilities I will buy the license and I will buy more equipment.For now I just create bases: drums, bass and some keyboards.
Cheers

Darryl Ramm 09-23-2022 01:11 AM

I already clearly answered that question and provided additional info.

So again: you can try using Built-In Output as the playback engine (and have no audio recording ability, which is OK for now). And use that with the MIDI keyboard and VIs as I mentioned.

---

With Build In Output (or whatever the audio output is called on your Mac) set as the playback engine create a new empty session and drag and drop a known good MP3 or similar audio file onto the Pro Tools edit window. Let it create a new track when asked. Press play. If you hear that audio playing it's working and you can go find a basic tutorial about working with virtual instruments and MIDI keyboards to follow along. Setting up MIDI and working with VIs will take you some time to learn, do not try to rush it or work it out yourself.

kerosene4uu 09-23-2022 01:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks again. But in the "Setup" menu?Where in the menu to configure?If I look for playback engine, it appears this (screenshot)