Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   iChat and Digi CoreAudio again (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=147749)

postglock 09-28-2005 06:15 AM

iChat and Digi CoreAudio again

I know (now) that many users have had problems with using Digi CoreAudio and iChat, but i can't even get any signal (noisy or otherwise) at all!!!

The strange thing is, I can get Digi CoreAudio to fire up by previewing various alert sounds in Prefs:Alerts, which play fine through my Mbox, but when using iChat after this, none of these alerts come through the Mbox.

In addition, there are no options for sound input in Prefs:Video (which is usual for the vanilla non-mic Mac Mini). There is a drop-down menu for output there, but after I select Digidesign HW it immediately switches back to Headphones and beeps (even when playing the previews fine).

Any tips? I know it may work pretty dodgily anyway, but I want to give the CoreAudio lottery a try.

I am using:
Mac Mini 1.25 GHz (i.e. no audio in)
OS X 10.4.2
Digi CoreAudio Manager 6.9.2
Mbox (original)

DigiTechSupt 09-28-2005 08:23 AM

Re: iChat and Digi CoreAudio again

Are you using the standalone core audio driver or the one installed with Pro Tools?

If you're using the one installed with Pro Tools, you probably just need to update it to the 'cs3' version, available here:

Pro Tools LE 6.9.2cs3 Update

If you're using the standalone version, try trashing the currently installed plugin (located at MacHD>Library>Audio>Plugins>HAL), restart and reinstall from a new download.

postglock 10-03-2005 10:17 PM

Thanks for the quick reply,

unfortunately I haven't had an opportunity to try the download until now.

I am using the bundled CoreAudio with LE, and I have now upgraded to the cs3 version.

Unfortunately, I am still experiencing the same problems as in my first post. (All alerts and also one-way audio chat coming through Mac headphone port/speakers)

Any other tips?

Thanks in advance...

postglock 10-09-2005 06:08 PM

bump

Hugo Leitão 10-09-2005 08:06 PM

same problem here,i'm running the last PT LE update and 10.4.2,unable to switch to digicoreaudio on ichat preferences

postglock 10-11-2005 05:42 PM

Are you using a Mac Mini as well, Hugo?

jcbrivers 10-12-2005 07:17 AM

Exact same problem here on a powerbook with a 002R... 10.4.2... 6.9.2cs4. It's not like I have an entire PT system so that I can video chat on reference monitors... but this used to work with 6.4 and Panther. I hate when things that used to work don't work anymore.... kind of a contradiction in terms when you're calling something an "upgrade".

maccool 10-12-2005 01:54 PM

I too have problems with Core Audio and iChat. I can't get too excited about this, but it really ought to work. So I had a bit of a muck-about. Try this; Quit iChat, quit Core Audio. In System Pref's set Audio Out to your Digi hardware (I'm using 002R). Go User>Library>Preferences and trash iChat.plist. Open iChat (it'll run you through the setup again). When you've done that, go to iChat Preferences>Video. Do you see your Digi interface selected? If yes, quit iChat. Launch Core Audio. Launch iChat. How's that? You might have to preview an Alert sound to get iChat to attach itself to Core Audio. I found that if I now change iChat's pref's back to Audio Out>Line Out, I can't subsequently select the 002R without jumping through those hoops again.

postglock 10-12-2005 06:52 PM

thanks for the tip maccool. the thing is, i want to get this working because the mac mini has no audio in otherwise...

I tried your tips (although i didn't restart iChat the second time). Really . . . strange . . . behaviour. Alert sounds preview through the MBox again, but now no alert sounds at all in the program proper. One-way audio chats now work through the Digi interface, and after using these (although coreaudio was already connected because of the previews) the alerts then work, albeit through the Mac audio interface!

And the input still doesn't work. Most irritating.

I just tried again with the second restart as suggested, and the alerts come through the mac immediately...

maccool 10-13-2005 03:46 AM

Quote:

And the input still doesn't work. Most irritating.

Ah, now I get it.

My 002R doesn't appear as an Audio input option in iChat either, even when it's selected in the System Preferences Sound Input. Since I use an iSight it's not a problem for me.

Have you considered something like the Griffin iMic?