Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Recording through Auto Tune Pro on an Aux track (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=416064)

M2E 07-02-2021 10:58 PM

Recording through Auto Tune Pro on an Aux track

Hey guys, is anyone else having issues with recording through Auto Tune Pro on an Aux track? For some reason it (Auto Tune Pro) won't enable.

Thanks as always, Marc:confused:

climber 07-03-2021 10:07 AM

Re: Recording through Auto Tune Pro on an Aux track

What are u doing with an Aux? Shouldn’t AT be on the audio track?

grayter1 07-03-2021 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by climber (Post 2606727)
What are u doing with an Aux? Shouldn’t AT be on the audio track?

I would think so, but after watching people make music on streaming services last year during lockdown, a number of them put it on an aux so that it can be used when recording big vocal stacks.

I'm not sure if this is the best approach, but it seems to serve underpowered laptop users well by not having 35 instances of the plugin open, or printing after each take.

A good friend of mine puts Guitar Rig on an Aux. Seems to work for him. As long as you get the result you're looking for, the road to getting there can be varied.

tg

nst7 07-03-2021 12:32 PM

I'm able to put it on a aux track and bus it to an audio track just fine. Are you sure you have it routed correctly?

M2E 07-03-2021 08:57 PM

Figured it out. When selecting "Low Latency" it won't let you record through Auto Tune Pro. Weird but OK.

The reason why I record vocals through Auto Tune Pro is so the singer/rapper can here how they are going to sound before recording it.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. Marc

paul_g 07-03-2021 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M2E (Post 2606770)
Figured it out. When selecting "Low Latency" it won't let you record through Auto Tune Pro. Weird but OK.

The reason why I record vocals through Auto Tune Pro is so the singer/rapper can here how they are going to sound before recording it.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. Marc

IT's just the way it is unless you're running HD.

It's one reason I like the UA Apollo. You can run UA plugs on the DSP of the Apollo.. Sadly only UA plugs though.

Glad you figured it out... Cheers!:-)

ejsongs 07-04-2021 05:58 AM

Hey Mark!

Hope all is well bro.

I’ve decided to ditch the hybrid engine and use 2021.6 in traditional mode with my single hdx card for now. I plan on picking up another card shortly. Like you I record vocals thru Auto-Tune…especially bvs. I have all 3 auto-tunes including hybrid.

The hybrid engine is way more efficient using native plugins than before. I opened a session where I had maxed out my hdx card and was using 70% of my native horse power as well. In hybrid mode 70% of my native power was still being used but none of my dsp…so it ran the entire session, which is very impressive.

The problem was that the feel and groove of the track changed in a bad way….Even though delay compensation was on. I also noticed that in hybrid mode it is not sample accurate. When recording on a track with dsp vs using an aux track and then bussing the audio to an audio track, there was a 2 sample delay with a 256 buffer at 44.1. Not horrible by any means but still there.

I still need to do some testing at higher sample rates and also see if the over all use of native plugins in non hybrid mode has improved. Ever since I left hd for hdx I have never run out of voices an I can currently mix and match dsp, native and hardware inserts at will. An extra hdx card plus adding an Mac mini to my 2010 cheese grater Mac would really give me all of the horse power I would ever need. At least until I upgrade to one of the new Mac pros….

M2E 07-05-2021 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejsongs (Post 2606791)
Hey Mark!

Hope all is well bro.

I’ve decided to ditch the hybrid engine and use 2021.6 in traditional mode with my single hdx card for now. I plan on picking up another card shortly. Like you I record vocals thru Auto-Tune…especially bvs. I have all 3 auto-tunes including hybrid.

The hybrid engine is way more efficient using native plugins than before. I opened a session where I had maxed out my hdx card and was using 70% of my native horse power as well. In hybrid mode 70% of my native power was still being used but none of my dsp…so it ran the entire session, which is very impressive.

The problem was that the feel and groove of the track changed in a bad way….Even though delay compensation was on. I also noticed that in hybrid mode it is not sample accurate. When recording on a track with dsp vs using an aux track and then bussing the audio to an audio track, there was a 2 sample delay with a 256 buffer at 44.1. Not horrible by any means but still there.

I still need to do some testing at higher sample rates and also see if the over all use of native plugins in non hybrid mode has improved. Ever since I left hd for hdx I have never run out of voices an I can currently mix and match dsp, native and hardware inserts at will. An extra hdx card plus adding an Mac mini to my 2010 cheese grater Mac would really give me all of the horse power I would ever need. At least until I upgrade to one of the new Mac pros….

E-Money!!!! What's going on man.

I ditched HD period. No need for it anymore. The one thing I do miss is the low latency. I may pick up a UA unit when the new Mac Mini Pro's come out. Until then, my 2009 Mac Pro Cheese Grater is doing the most and I love it.

I record at 24bit/48k and mix at the same. With 256 tracks now (Though I never needed them) I'm good.
I'm going to do a video on how to use multi-processor cpu's with Pro Tools and all other DAWS ala Logic Pro and Studio One (Which I'm slowly migrating too) to get the most of of them.

I've been recording vocals through Auto Tune since 2004. Every since my brother told me Rodney Jerkins was recording all his vocalist through Auto Tune for a better performance. Indeed it works a lot better.

Marc