Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   PT8-Goes into pause, not play (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=234792)

Tim R. 12-28-2008 09:05 AM

Re: PT8-Goes into pause, not play

I've been fighting this issue on one of our LE rigs for a long time (all through PT 7). I have found it to be a hardware issue, since I did a complete new install a different machine (but still used the same Digi 002 hardware) and STILL experience the issue.

Tim

Teolin 12-31-2008 12:49 PM

Digi Pro Tools, masters of the audio universe... elastic audio, pitch correction, blah, blah, blah, doodaw, doodaw. THE DAMN PLAY BUTTON DOESN'T WORK ON A QUAD BUILT FOR PT WHEN THE SYSTEM IS AT 5% USAGE!!!!!!

Just back from vacation. Feeling good, did some jammin with friends and relatives and wrote a new song... But the "musical" experience completely ruined by the delicate flower of audio, PTLE. Works with this (sometimes!), won't work with that, that, that, that, that, ,aht ,ath ,ath ,athatha tha that hathahta, aaaa be-dee be-dee be-dee.

And part of the non-solution offered is to delete the preferences and databases, THAT ARE CREATED BY PT!!!! You send us a utility program to delete what your software creates? Call it a fix? What? And then scold newcomers to the Digi irony-gone-nuclear-world by telling them they shoudn't even post problems until they find the thread explaining that PTLE creates folders that cause the product not to function appropriately.

Wow. I'd call that... hell, I don't know what I'd call that.

And BTW I don't want to delete my preferences and have to redo them everytime I start PT.

I want PT to work. Every time. I'm so sick of these freaking tippy-toe discussions of, "Gee, something in PT is not working as advertised. What in the world could be the problem?" We know it's not PTLE. It's never PTLE.

And then blame it on NVIDIA or one of the dozens of other manufactures of hardware or software that seem to be making products that work reliably for the most part with the rest of the computer world.

Is the play/pause problem new? No, it's very old. Has it been discussed? Oh yeah. Did the users troubleshoot and cheerfully do backflips in hopes that someone (someone?) would discover the magic bullet. Yep.

Is the problem even worse in PT8? Appears to be.

Please ban me from the DUC. Please save my miserable life and revoke my license to discuss online the intricate mysteries of the delicate flower.

But keep in mind that this is a pro audio program where some fairly longtime users who have worked at buying the right gear, can't get the PLAY/RECORD function to work reliably. The play button....

original_min 12-31-2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teolin (Post 1326847)
Digi Pro Tools, masters of the audio universe... elastic audio, pitch correction, blah, blah, blah, doodaw, doodaw. THE DAMN PLAY BUTTON DOESN'T WORK ON A QUAD BUILT FOR PT WHEN THE SYSTEM IS AT 5% USAGE!!!!!!

Just back from vacation. Feeling good, did some jammin with friends and relatives and wrote a new song... But the "musical" experience completely ruined by the delicate flower of audio, PTLE. Works with this (sometimes!), won't work with that, that, that, that, that, ,aht ,ath ,ath ,athatha tha that hathahta, aaaa be-dee be-dee be-dee.

And part of the non-solution offered is to delete the preferences and databases, THAT ARE CREATED BY PT!!!! You send us a utility program to delete what your software creates? Call it a fix? What? And then scold newcomers to the Digi irony-gone-nuclear-world by telling them they shoudn't even post problems until they find the thread explaining that PTLE creates folders that cause the product not to function appropriately.

Wow. I'd call that... hell, I don't know what I'd call that.

And BTW I don't want to delete my preferences and have to redo them everytime I start PT.

I want PT to work. Every time. I'm so sick of these freaking tippy-toe discussions of, "Gee, something in PT is not working as advertised. What in the world could be the problem?" We know it's not PTLE. It's never PTLE.

And then blame it on NVIDIA or one of the dozens of other manufactures of hardware or software that seem to be making products that work reliably for the most part with the rest of the computer world.

Is the play/pause problem new? No, it's very old. Has it been discussed? Oh yeah. Did the users troubleshoot and cheerfully do backflips in hopes that someone (someone?) would discover the magic bullet. Yep.

Is the problem even worse in PT8? Appears to be.

Please ban me from the DUC. Please save my miserable life and revoke my license to discuss online the intricate mysteries of the delicate flower.

But keep in mind that this is a pro audio program where some fairly longtime users who have worked at buying the right gear, can't get the PLAY/RECORD function to work reliably. The play button....

I know, I know.
PTLE v8 was the last straw for me.
I just went and got a new daw package after getting extremely pissed at what appears to be a consistent Digi policy of introducing new features rather than addressing issues so many users have had for so long.

I love PT. I really do.
However the Mix and HD systems are the only 'Pro Tools' in the lineup.
LE is cool for a laptop situation or something, it might be even better suited to an iPhone type platform, if they can get it crippled enough.

I initially setup LE at home thinking that it's easy to bring stuff back from the studio or whatever, and that it's all part of the workflow and everything, but it's not!
Get a HD project into PTLE, become a 2nd class citizen and watch it all fall apart. It's become quite an emotional issue for me, trying to remain faithful to this software, and the whole Digi' pitch. Like a bad husband or something.
In the end it's just proven too hard.

So with the new stuff the results after a couple of days are:

It plays -woohoo!
I/O -as much or as little, in whatever flavour.
Busses -32 busses is archaic, the Digi add on price for more is simply insulting.

and of course.....
Delay compensation

I have wasted endless amounts of time trying to get it all to hang together reliably in PTLE.
I faithfully listened to the excuses and struggled with the supposed workarounds. Time Adjusters, ATA's, Nudging.
No longer do I have to bypass FX, unmute everything, stuff around with the ping and then switch it all back again everytime I use a new latent insert.

Surely a fundamental requirement for any audio recorder/mixer is that it can keep things in time?

True, some initial setup was required with the new software -about an hour of checking to be dead certain it worked 100% with everything.
Since that all my Tracks, Groups, FX, Parallel Busses, UAD's, Outboard, whatever, playing in time, in phase, everytime!
As they damn well should!

So finally....
Spending a couple of hundred AU$ for a v8 upgrade and being assaulted by a new gimmick interface and a play button that won't work again has just been too much for me. Let alone the other PTLE omissions.
I figured I can spend another grand or two on getting an expansion to partially uncripple my home Digidesign system or I could just go buy a package that just gives me what I need for much less.

I suspected there may be a tear or two shed as the last of the PTLE projects are transferred out, but nah!
The studio assures me I can just bring the dongle thing (it fit's in my pocket)
and it's good to go.
Or I can take home a Digidesign OMF of the session files and open it.
I tried.

Digitalkidd 12-31-2008 05:13 PM

Same problem here...6088 error - I only use 64 samples with MIDI, but the general work around like others have mentioned that I use are hitting the fast forward button and then the rewind button before hitting play. Once or twice of this and things seem to sync up when I hit the play button.....spacebar or mouse click....pretty annoying for sure. I'm just glad I'm not the only one...

I haven't rolled back my 6600GT drivers to windows default drivers, but from what I've read people who are using defulat drivers are still experiencing the same problem....not 100% sure.

The Weed 12-31-2008 05:30 PM

What DAW did you move to? I'm guessing Nuendo or Cubase.

Happy New year!

mykhal c 12-31-2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by original_min (Post 1326940)
I know, I know.
PTLE v8 was the last straw for me.
I just went and got a new daw package after getting extremely pissed at what appears to be a consistent Digi policy of introducing new features rather than addressing issues so many users have had for so long.

I love PT. I really do.
However the Mix and HD systems are the only 'Pro Tools' in the lineup.
LE is cool for a laptop situation or something, it might be even better suited to an iPhone type platform, if they can get it crippled enough.

I initially setup LE at home thinking that it's easy to bring stuff back from the studio or whatever, and that it's all part of the workflow and everything, but it's not!
Get a HD project into PTLE, become a 2nd class citizen and watch it all fall apart. It's become quite an emotional issue for me, trying to remain faithful to this software, and the whole Digi' pitch. Like a bad husband or something.
In the end it's just proven too hard.

So with the new stuff the results after a couple of days are:

It plays -woohoo!
I/O -as much or as little, in whatever flavour.
Busses -32 busses is archaic, the Digi add on price for more is simply insulting.

and of course.....
Delay compensation

I have wasted endless amounts of time trying to get it all to hang together reliably in PTLE.
I faithfully listened to the excuses and struggled with the supposed workarounds. Time Adjusters, ATA's, Nudging.
No longer do I have to bypass FX, unmute everything, stuff around with the ping and then switch it all back again everytime I use a new latent insert.

Surely a fundamental requirement for any audio recorder/mixer is that it can keep things in time?

True, some initial setup was required with the new software -about an hour of checking to be dead certain it worked 100% with everything.
Since that all my Tracks, Groups, FX, Parallel Busses, UAD's, Outboard, whatever, playing in time, in phase, everytime!
As they damn well should!

So finally....
Spending a couple of hundred AU$ for a v8 upgrade and being assaulted by a new gimmick interface and a play button that won't work again has just been too much for me. Let alone the other PTLE omissions.
I figured I can spend another grand or two on getting an expansion to partially uncripple my home Digidesign system or I could just go buy a package that just gives me what I need for much less.

I suspected there may be a tear or two shed as the last of the PTLE projects are transferred out, but nah!
The studio assures me I can just bring the dongle thing (it fit's in my pocket)
and it's good to go.
Or I can take home a Digidesign OMF of the session files and open it.
I tried.

i guess if you're gonna hate the GUI then you might as well luv the functionality!!! PT8 looks a lot like.....NUENDO!!! (my guess anyway!!):eek::eek::D

happy new year!!!

The Weed 01-01-2009 11:09 AM

It's sort of a cross between Logic and Nuendo/Cubase.

All The Best In 2009!

Spirithunter 01-01-2009 02:40 PM

This is freaking crazy with the "Goes into pause, not play"!:mad:
and PT8 freezing up at times to boot.

Can not play with them!
Can not win with them!
Can not coach with them!
Can't do it!
I want a stable software!

Back to 7.4.
Still love 8 but i need it to work.

TOM@METRO 01-06-2009 11:09 PM

Perhaps it’s only coincidence, reducing RTAS processors by one seems to help.

Spirithunter 01-07-2009 05:20 AM

I'll give that a try Tom...