Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Total I/O Possible with OMNI? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=337403)

Tim R. 04-12-2013 03:43 PM

Total I/O Possible with OMNI?

What's the MAX simultaneous In/Outs of the OMNI?

Am I correct to understand that if I have 8 channels of inserts on the ADAT I/O of the Omni, I'm limited to 4 channels of Analog I/O for either inserts OR monitoring (ie NO 5.1 output with 8 Digital channels of I/O- and really only 2 more channels of available analog I/O if I'm monitoring in stereo)?

My one possible scenario is 8 analog inserts with a Rosetta Via ADAT, 2 channels SPDIF digital to/from outboard reverb unit and STEREO analog out to speakers. That's the max correct?

nst7 04-12-2013 04:31 PM

Re: Total I/O Possible with OMNI?

It's 8 in, 8 out total. So if you use all 8 channels of Adat, you're maxed out right there.

Or you could use any combination like 4 analog, 2 Spidf, 2 Adat. Or 2 analog, 2 Spidf, 4 Adat, and so on.

DUCHUNTER 04-14-2013 05:01 PM

Ridiculously, it's only 8. The worst Avid interface next to MBox. And it's $3k.

Meads 04-14-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DUCHUNTER (Post 2030095)
Ridiculously, it's only 8. The worst Avid interface next to MBox. And it's $3k.

It's also a monitor controller and the converters and pres are very good. So I think the pricing is reasonable.
If you need more connectivity, get an HD I/O instead.

albee1952 04-14-2013 06:04 PM

Its the perfect interface for some, and completely wrong for others. Knowing your needs is the key to buying the correct hardware:o

Keybeeetsss 04-14-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2030124)
Its the perfect interface for some, and completely wrong for others. Knowing your needs is the key to buying the correct hardware:o

What Albee'sure said...

Sent from Da GS3 On'eim...

sharp11 04-15-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim R. (Post 2029216)
What's the MAX simultaneous In/Outs of the OMNI?

Am I correct to understand that if I have 8 channels of inserts on the ADAT I/O of the Omni, I'm limited to 4 channels of Analog I/O for either inserts OR monitoring (ie NO 5.1 output with 8 Digital channels of I/O- and really only 2 more channels of available analog I/O if I'm monitoring in stereo)?

My one possible scenario is 8 analog inserts with a Rosetta Via ADAT, 2 channels SPDIF digital to/from outboard reverb unit and STEREO analog out to speakers. That's the max correct?

I use mine with an apogee 8 channel rosetta - I almost never need 8 in and outs of analog at one time, so it's not a big deal.

The mic pres sound really, REALLY good, it's such a pleasure to have the monitor control built onto the unit ( i no longer need an external box just for that) and the whole thing (ins and outs) is easy to switch inside the software.

I'd like 4 more channels of i/0 - at some point I'll probably find an additional interface, but for now, since I mostly work solo, it's ideal.

Otherwise, as mentioned, the HD16 is a good deal, but then you need to get monitor controller atop that.

TOM@METRO 04-15-2013 08:55 AM

The Omni is our primary interface here. The conversion is stellar and the DI is oh-so-clean. For more I/O in HDN/HDX we add 192s or for native the MOTU 24I/O.

P,B,S 04-21-2013 01:42 AM

I use mine for a monitor controller allmost exclusivly.
If they found a way to add a hardware remote controller that would be great and add alot of value to the OMNI. Also if there was a way to use the inserts on the unit for something usefull that would be a big bennifit as well.
Id like the inserts to be masterbuss inserts as well. Lets face it most people who have external outboard wouldnt be tracking through those pre,s anyway but having a couple extra decent clean pres is worth having.

epm 04-23-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P,B,S (Post 2032862)
I use mine for a monitor controller allmost exclusivly.
If they found a way to add a hardware remote controller that would be great and add alot of value to the OMNI.

Definitely. The thing has a remote port too, every time i've asked an avid rep about it they say theres no plans to make a remote for it. Seems like serious wasted potential.