Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 9 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   How to buy additional license? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=307826)

Craig F 09-19-2011 04:59 PM

Re: How to buy additional license?

trying to clone an iLok would be considered piracy, I though that is what you wanted to do

uneaq 09-19-2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig F (Post 1836610)
trying to clone an iLok would be considered piracy, I though that is what you wanted to do

In a sense, I guess thats what I'd like to do...but I'm not familiar enough with the whole ilok system to have known that when you transfer assets from ilok-A, to ilok-B....ilok-A no longer has the assets...meaning they don't share the information..its one or the other. One of the previous posts cleared that up for me. I'm not trying to do anything illegal...we bought the program from a legit authorized dealer, just want to know how we both can use the program at the same time on 2 different computers. I guess we'll either have to buy someone's assets as someone mentioned, off of ebay or something...or just buy a whole new box...which kinda sucks. But oh well

zedhed 09-19-2011 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uneaq (Post 1836624)
I guess we'll either have to buy someone's assets as someone mentioned, off of ebay or something...or just buy a whole new box...which kinda sucks. But oh well

Yeah it sucks that when you go buy a car they don't give you another one for free...jeez the mentality of some people astounds me. :rolleyes:

CME 09-19-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zedhed (Post 1836631)
Yeah it sucks that when you go buy a car they don't give you another one for free...jeez the mentality of some people astounds me. :rolleyes:

It comes from there being so much freeware out there. And also a lot of software that doesn't have much, if any, protection to keep people from installing the same software on multiple computers. I remember at first feeling similar to the OP, but once I saw the bigger picture it made sense as to why it is the way it is.

zedhed 09-19-2011 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CME (Post 1836634)
It comes from there being so much freeware out there. And also a lot of software that doesn't have much, if any, protection to keep people from installing the same software on multiple computers. I remember at first feeling similar to the OP, but once I saw the bigger picture it made sense as to why it is the way it is.

I see where you're coming from but whatever happened to good old common sense, or for that matter...honesty?

brickroadstudio 09-19-2011 10:40 PM

[QUOTE=Emcha_audio;1836577]The only reason why it's legal, is because You no longer have the license after that. You wouldn't be able to use your q10 plugins due to no longer having the license to use it. Same goes for pro tools.

Right... Hence one license for one user-- and the $25 transfer fee. Thats what I was explaining to him-- He needed to buy a second license.

Craig F 09-20-2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zedhed (Post 1836690)
I see where you're coming from but whatever happened to good old common sense, or for that matter...honesty?

honesty? in the music biz?

necjamc 09-20-2011 10:42 AM

I find a lot of people unfamiliar with ilok protection don't understand at first. Most likely because a lot of software ( like toontrack; and presonus I believe) offer a few licenses with your purchase. In the assumption you will install on a couple of YOUR computers. But with ilok protection there is no need for this. You can't knock someone for asking. If you don't know ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emcha_audio 09-20-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig F (Post 1836865)
honesty? in the music biz?

Yes well things have changed greatly since the 40-70's where artist would get ripped off by the producers and agent more time than not. Today it still happens but less.

But yes, if people keep going on with that mentality, then things will never get better.