Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Virus Indigo Preset Questions (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=27941)

Renie 11-25-2002 03:59 PM

Re: Virus Indigo Preset Questions

Quote:

Originally posted by speer:
RE: Indigo Presets:

First, who’s idea was it to make the Indigo-installer automatically put my Virus presets in the trash? It puts the old plugin in an “obsolete” folder, yet it dumps the presets directly in the trash!

Luckily I saw this before I permanently dumped all my sorted and custom settings. You need to change this immediately.
-------------------------------

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks for the notice.
This sounds like an awkward upgrade...

audiaudio 11-25-2002 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by speer:

It puts the old plugin in an “obsolete” folder, yet it dumps the presets directly in the trash! I certainly don’t want to LOSE any presets.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I love Virus. I've been ready to upgrade to Indigo.

After reading speer's post, I'm concerned.

I realize now that I have to wait until I get more info.

syra 11-25-2002 07:16 PM

The indigo kicks Virus's ass big time...I am really happy I upgraded

peace

audiaudio 11-25-2002 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by syra:
The indigo kicks Virus's ass big time...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">syra,

Can you enlighten us? In what ways is Indigo better?

Also, do you have the same problems that speer's having?

Thanks.

Allan Speers 11-26-2002 12:51 AM

Virus Indigo Preset Questions

First, who’s idea was it to make the Indigo-installer automatically put my Virus presets in the trash? It puts the old plugin in an “obsolete” folder, yet it dumps the presets directly in the trash!

Luckily I saw this before I permanently dumped all my sorted and custom settings. You need to change this immediately.
-------------------------------

Regarding the Indigo presets:

I assume that the virus presets will run on the Indigo.
Can I assume that if an Indigo preset has exactly the same name as a Virus preset (sans the “.tfx” ending) that they are identical presets?

-As I have spent at least a hundred hours sorting and modifying my Virus presets, I need to know which of the new presets are actually new. Can Digi provide a list? Even better, can Digi supply JUST the new presets as a seperate download?

On that same topic:
After downloading the full TDM preset list from the Access website, Virus had 17 “input” presets. The Indigo has only 13. The Virus Vocoder folder has 28 presets while the Indigo has 26. etc.... why?

What I’m trying to ascertain is this: I have the full compliment of Virus presets from the Access site. I certainly don’t want to LOSE any presets. can I safely trash all of these, sans my custom modifications, and rest assured that these sounds are duplicated by the newly-supplied Indigo presets?
-----------------------------------

-But maybe not: I tried to find an Indigo preset that matched the current Virus preset being used in my session. (I had to hunt since, with the old Virus, the current in-use preset name is not displayed) I’m pretty sure I found the same preset in the old virus folder, only this preset had to be transposed up an octave to work properly. Also, it seems to be about 4-5 db lower in gain than the preset that had been originally saved with the session. I loaded the same preset from the Indigo folders, and after changing the octave, the volume was fine. I THEN re-loaded the ORIGINAL preset, which I had saved under a new name. This preset was now 4-5 db lower than it had been when I first launched the session!

I did this same routine with a few other presets. about half the time I would find this same problem, and about half the time everything was fine. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

What’s going on here? Do I now have to worry about any sessions that had the virus in them, or is this soem kind of fluke? If it's a known problem, can you tell me how much I need to compensate the Protools fader to make up the difference?
------------------------------

I see that the Virus had 17 factory “input” presets. (from the Access website main download.) the Indigo has only 13. why?
------------------------------

Last: Why do all the preset names have to have that “.tfx“ tacked onto the end? This makes it so much harder to read, and limits the amount of useful letters that can be used in the name. It just makes no sense.

songman 11-26-2002 02:22 AM

What I usually do when installing new software is: duplicate the folders where the new software will deposit files. Give the original folders a suffix, and then install. That way you can check what happened and nothing original gets lost. You can then decide yourself what to do with the new files. Saved me some problems a few times already.

Cheers, Bob.

Allan Speers 11-26-2002 01:58 PM

Bump.

Digi, please respond. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

shadowbox 11-26-2002 08:43 PM

So if I have a session that I used Virus on and I used a preset called "Padding" that same session with Indigo will not automatically load that preset? I will have to refind the same preset? Even if it is numbered the same and in the same location in the preset folder?

Allan Speers 11-27-2002 03:21 PM

No, the prest will be there at launch, but it will of course not have a name visible. and, if you save it as "my preset for this track" or whatever, then call up a different preset, it may come back at the wrong volume.

AND, if you happen to have the name of the originally-used preset in your notes, dn't automatically expect it to come back correct if you load it again from your Vitus prest folder. (some do, some don't.)

AND, I'm still waiting for the other answers.

Digi, are you out there? We have work to do.

teddybut 11-27-2002 10:58 PM

can't you just put the old Virus plug back in your DAE folder, the old Virus presets back in your settings folder, open the session in question, bounce the Virus track and be done with it???

The "not showing the name of the setting" when opening a saved session thing is a drag, I hope they fix that. I haven't personally noticed it because I haven't been opening old sessions yet. Maybe it's because the old virus settings are still in your settings folder and it's messing up Indigo? just a thought...

Indigo is great. Worth every penny for me. why is it better than the Virus plug? Mainly because it is a Virus B, instead of Virus A. third ocillator, more efx (rocking phaser, reverb sounds awesome). I am very happy with the upgrade too.

Teddybut