Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   So what exactly is the problem with RTAS anyway? Bad Code? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=312308)

DJ Hellfire 11-22-2011 08:55 AM

So what exactly is the problem with RTAS anyway? Bad Code?

With the move towards AAX, I see a lot of people saying RTAS is bad code or that it was doomed from the start. I've even seen these mentions a few times before AAX was even public knowledge. What exactly is wrong with it other than the claim that it's not 64-bit ready? Seems pretty reliable to me. But I don't really know the whole science behind these things. Why the bad rep? What makes VST so great in comparison (again, 64-bit aside)?

DRC Music 11-22-2011 09:08 AM

Re: So what exactly is the problem with RTAS anyway? Bad Code?

If you are able... try this

Set your hardware buffer to the lowest it will go... (mine will go to 32) then load up lets say 2 or 3 instances of Superior Drummer and load some MIDI content on each so all instances will actually play something. you most likely wont get past 2 or 3 notes before it stops with an error

Now do the exact same thing in Logic, Sonar, or Reaper and it will not only play just fine... you can even add 3 or 4 MORE instances... even with them in 32 bit mode

I can reproduce this over and over. I will try and make a screen capture video so you can see its really that bad

RTAS just sucks compared VST or AU or maybe its something is Pro Tools code that handles plugins badly *shrugs*

Thats why so many go with Reaper ReWired into Pro Tools or VEPro

sean shannon 11-22-2011 10:03 AM

RTAS is just fine for plugins. I never notice any problems whatsoever. It's RTAS instruments people have problems with, as far as I can tell.

Alio 45 11-22-2011 11:34 AM

Will AAX resolve this?

Al

TOM@METRO 11-22-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alio 45 (Post 1869673)
Will AAX resolve this?

Al

We won't really know for sure until they arrive. Rumor has it that they are very similar, at least in 32bit operation.

spenner 11-22-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean shannon (Post 1869622)
RTAS is just fine for plugins. I never notice any problems whatsoever. It's RTAS instruments people have problems with, as far as I can tell.

+1

When I was a newbie on a Pentium 4, on the final project for an online course I almost killed my computer with nearly all inserts loaded with Digi II plugins on all 24 tracks and some Aux's. It was a Grammy mix then but sounds horrific now!! :D Anyway, running in Diagnostic startup mode I squeezed every ounce of power out of that computer! PT LE 6 on that Mbox and P4 was very solid and efficient enough for me even on maxed out sessions. Even now, I have no issues with PT Native or RTAS for plugins (stock or 3rd party) other than VI's.

spenner 11-22-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRC Music (Post 1869607)
Thats why so many go with Reaper ReWired into Pro Tools or VEPro

Because professionals wanting to use PT must work. Not all of us happily purchased the host, or have a definite "need it anyway" reason like those doing huge orchestra compositions. (though I know composers using Cubase 64 bit only for orchestra compositions).

I'll be really, really, really, really happy when the expectation to use a host with PT is gone, and PT is not considered an audio only DAW, so if you don't like it get a host or another DAW. VI users with low buffer, high RAM, high VI count needs love PT for working just like audio engineers. We just can't use only PT, like the other guys.

DRC Music 11-22-2011 04:13 PM

Yes!!! ^^^^^

Capta¡nHook 11-23-2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean shannon (Post 1869622)

I posted this in another thread about basically the same thing...
I always thought RTAS was fine (CPU wise) for plugins too..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capta¡nHook (Post 1869326)
I disagree. After 12+ years of being Pro Tools exclusive, i started to learn Reaper two weeks ago. I've done a few mixes now on reaper using the same routing/plugins i typically do in PT's.

In PT my typical CPU usage for a mix was around 60-70% CPU.
In reaper it's been around 30-40% using the VST equivalents. No instruments (VI's), and in fact i was running 2 instances of slate's trigger plugin with reaper which i don't normally do in PT. So i was actually running more plugins than normal, at a greatly reduced CPU hit.

I always heard RTAS was not as efficient as other plugin formats but had no idea it was this drastic. It's very likely that many of the plugins i use have been optimized for VST and not really for RTAS, but that doesn't matter to me, real world practical use does. It's not just VI's at all in my experience so far.