Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Playback stopping when .. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=423159)

AINSLIE 01-13-2023 07:07 AM

Playback stopping when ..

Prior to Monterey I always left ichat, safari and mail running in the background with no affect on PT. All apps needed for business. However first with Monterey, and now more so with Ventura, Protools playback stops / errors when a mail or message is received and when any webpage with any playback draw is loaded. System usage is all under 30%. Interestingly - I was able to record 160 tracks over 12 x 1-2 hour sessions without interruption. This only occurs on playback and with moderate plugin load. All systems settings as per PT install instructions. Of course I can quit those apps, and I do when it gets ridiculous - but I'd LOVE to know if there's anything I can do - seems to me the processing power is not the issue. Some kind of interruption going on. System sound is set via the 4K monitors speakers.

HDX1. MTRX / Dadman (current) PT Ultimate 2022.12. MBP 2019 64GB Ram. Ventura 13.0.1. Caldigit TS3+

Any ideas?

huzzam 01-13-2023 08:17 AM

Re: Playback stopping when ..

ha iChat, you're showing your age :) (and so am i, for recognizing it)

just a shot in the dark, are Mail/Messages set to make a sound in the Notifications settings? perhaps the audio (which might be at a different sample rate) affects the sync of interface / pro tools?

as for safari, are you running any extensions which could be causing high system load?

its2loud 01-13-2023 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huzzam (Post 2658715)
ha iChat, you're showing your age :) (and so am i, for recognizing it)

just a shot in the dark, are these apps set to make a sound in the Notifications settings? perhaps the audio (which might be at a different sample rate) affects the sync of interface / pro tools?

This is the nail on the head.

AINSLIE 01-13-2023 08:40 AM

I actually have all notifications off for all those apps (in system settings) - and pretty much everything except ProTools!. Also just now turned off 'play user interface sound effects' in the sound tab. Also sample rate (48K) is same as what I generally work in .. and finally there's a preference under 'general' in Mail which had sound notifications in addition to the system wide notifications panel - DOH! Disabled. I really hope this solves it ... Thanks a ton!

CraftWW 01-16-2023 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AINSLIE (Post 2658693)
Prior to Monterey I always left ichat, safari and mail running in the background with no affect on PT. All apps needed for business. However first with Monterey, and now more so with Ventura, Protools playback stops / errors when a mail or message is received and when any webpage with any playback draw is loaded. System usage is all under 30%. Interestingly - I was able to record 160 tracks over 12 x 1-2 hour sessions without interruption. This only occurs on playback and with moderate plugin load. All systems settings as per PT install instructions. Of course I can quit those apps, and I do when it gets ridiculous - but I'd LOVE to know if there's anything I can do - seems to me the processing power is not the issue. Some kind of interruption going on. System sound is set via the 4K monitors speakers.

HDX1. MTRX / Dadman (current) PT Ultimate 2022.12. MBP 2019 64GB Ram. Ventura 13.0.1. Caldigit TS3+

Any ideas?

The same here. :mad: On Monterey it completely hung up pro tools and its aux i/o.
Now on Ventura itīs stopping its playback until the aux i/o is resynced.
Interestingly itīs the same with other virtual interfaces like source nexus.
Iīm going crazy....
Did you find a solution?
I already donīt generate any system sounds anymore, but there is always an app that does some audio and brings me down ...

CraftWW 01-16-2023 04:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It seems like Iīve found a workaround.
In the audio-midi-devices set the interface for system sounds to mute.
This way Pro Tools doesnīt stutter anymore. :-)
But this is just a workaround...... :(
I would definitely like to know what is causing the hiccups :confused:

AINSLIE 01-16-2023 07:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Great idea - for me simply muting the mail notifications sounds in the Mail app solved it. I had already muted all notifications in system settings. I may toy with turning the not sound notifications back on tho ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftWW (Post 2658959)
It seems like Iīve found a workaround.
In the audio-midi-devices set the interface for system sounds to mute.
This way Pro Tools doesnīt stutter anymore. :-)
But this is just a workaround...... :(
I would definitely like to know what is causing the hiccups :confused:

CraftWW 01-17-2023 02:58 AM

I tried all Pro Tools versions since 2022.9 now prior to a clean uninstall.
All behave the same. :(
I also tried different I/O interfaces. I have a license for Source-Nexus I used before the intorduction of Aux I/O.
Exactly the same behaviour!!! :confused:

I think it has to do with the OS and the 2019 MacPro hardware.
Even when audio of the system is muted and I just click on the audio menu entry in the system settings of macOS -> it stutters. It seems like an interface event or activation that triggers the stutter.
Same on Aux I/O. When Iīm playing back s.th. on one interface and activate another one for client audio i.e. playback also stutters.
I think itīs a system bug....

CraftWW 01-17-2023 04:07 AM

Here is another hint:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comme...dio_interface/

CraftWW 01-18-2023 02:27 AM

I found a little workaround so that my main desktop bridge interface keeps playing audio flawlessly ... :o
In Ventura there is an Accessibility setting where you can generate relaxation sounds. I put it on uniform noise (translated) and dimmed it completely (no sound at all) but it keeps the interface active :-)