Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   How to stop Pro Tools from accessing an Audio Files folder? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=295331)

beech 02-23-2011 01:23 AM

How to stop Pro Tools from accessing an Audio Files folder?

I am restoring from a backup drive and I need to split the audio across two drives as it is a large session. So I make two folders, one called Audio Files 1 and the other called Audio Files 2. I copy Audio Files 2 onto another drive but I want to leave the original Audio Files 2 folder on the backup disk. My question is - how do I get Pro Tools to avoid loading the Audio Files 2 on the backup disk.

Hope this makes sense.

lincol1 02-23-2011 02:49 AM

Re: How to stop Pro Tools from accessing an Audio Files folder?

This can be set under disc allocation.. You can assign which drive or drives you want to use for a particular session.

beech 02-23-2011 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lincol1 (Post 1756764)
This can be set under disc allocation.. You can assign which drive or drives you want to use for a particular session.

That's for record. I'm talking about playback.

beech 02-23-2011 08:49 AM

Ok, I suppose one way would be to put the folder Audio Files 2 that I don't want to access into the trash temporarily. Then open the PT file and it would find the copied Audio Files 2 on the second drive.

I know that there used to be a way of having a folder that the Mac OS would ignore. I just can't remember what you have to name that folder.

:mad:

Plug-In 02-23-2011 08:51 AM

This may be obvious, but disconnect the back up drive when opening the session and have it trace the new locations for audio files, then save the session. My 2 cents

beech 02-24-2011 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plug-In (Post 1756881)
This may be obvious, but disconnect the back up drive when opening the session and have it trace the new locations for audio files, then save the session. My 2 cents

Can't do that because I want to keep the first set of Audio Files on that drive. We're talking about 200gb of audio here.

GeneralLee 02-24-2011 11:22 PM

Thanks for sharing.

lincol1 02-25-2011 02:16 AM

Cant you just rename the folder or move it to a different location so the session won't find the files, then choose not to re link? Or... move the files to an external drive removing them from the computer completely? Or... rename the session and manually delete the files you don't want in the session?

Seems like there would be several ways to accomplish this.

Stig Eliassen 02-25-2011 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beech (Post 1756846)
That's for record. I'm talking about playback.

You can select the root media folder in Disc allocation, which I believe is what you need.

drenkrom 02-25-2011 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beech (Post 1756879)
I know that there used to be a way of having a folder that the Mac OS would ignore. I just can't remember what you have to name that folder.

I think you're referring to making a folder or set of files invisible? If so, there's a complete tutorial here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10344207-263.html

I don't think that would really be the best way to deal with your situation, but the info is there for future reference.

IHTH