Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Pop at the end of bounced files (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=304670)

brickroadstudio 07-21-2011 07:55 AM

Pop at the end of bounced files

I have posted about this and no one seems to be able to help-
Sometimes when I bounce, I get a "pop" at the very end when its done- All the faders go up for a split second.
The problem is, this POP gets onto the final mixed down .wav file.
Doesn't always happen, but often enough to be a huge pain in the ass.
Why does this happen and how do I get it to stop?
Thank You

DigiTechSupt 07-21-2011 09:37 AM

Re: Pop at the end of bounced files

Are you using automation on the Master Fader?

brickroadstudio 07-21-2011 01:07 PM

Yes, to make a fade out-- but at the end the line is at the bottom, its not snapping up to the normal level at the end of the highlighted bounce feature.

So is this a known bug then? I used to never have this issue, even with automation on the master fader...

brickroadstudio 07-23-2011 10:40 AM

So?????

DigiTechSupt 07-23-2011 01:55 PM

This is a known issue and is logged for a fix. The workaround seems to be making sure your automation ends before the region end.

brickroadstudio 07-24-2011 11:23 PM

The final automation point is at the end of the fadeout. I usually highlight a second past that-- the pop sound is at the end of the bounce upon completion (I also see all the fader meters pop to the red.) not at the automation point...
SO I am not sure what you are suggesting.

psmworld 07-25-2011 04:53 AM

pops also occur when starting or stopping playback!!!

it´s annoying when you´re editing. hundreds of starts and stops and most of the time getting loud pops...

midnightrambler 07-25-2011 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brickroadstudio (Post 1818510)
The final automation point is at the end of the fadeout. I usually highlight a second past that-- the pop sound is at the end of the bounce upon completion (I also see all the fader meters pop to the red.) not at the automation point...
SO I am not sure what you are suggesting.

I'm guessing that the pop is from when the master fader jumps back to 0dB, a split second before the files have finished being written. Have you tried writing the master fader level at the beginning of the track to -infinity, then having it at 0dB just before the track comes in? So the master fader doesn't jump back up when the track stops. If you see what I mean. It's not the most elegant of workarounds admittedly, but it might just work.

brickroadstudio 07-25-2011 12:17 PM

It doesnt pop back up. I have it fade to the bottom and then the line stays at the bottom...

Jon_Atkinson 07-25-2011 12:54 PM

Without wishing to seem as if I'm trying to paper over a clearly irritating bug, I actually never use Bounce To Disk....

My workflow is always to record via an AUX back into the session (which might get around this bug), as I find it works for me much better for keeping track of my mixes....

I mostly create music for TV and film, so I often have a LOT of cues (sometimes a couple of hundred on a project...!)... Keeping the mixes within the sessions really helps me keep track of them.... Also, sometimes I have to punch in a section on a mix... It's much easier to do this using this workflow.
Also, it means I can easily export mp3 files for the director to approve, and also I find it easier to fade tracks (and also join cues together)...

I totally get that the bug needs fixing, but if this method might get around your issues, maybe try it as an alternative?