Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 9 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Plug-in load crashes (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=298395)

tipthepostman 04-03-2011 04:25 PM

Plug-in load crashes

I have a fair number of third-party RTAS plug-ins, and for some jobs I like to have them all available at once. But with my recent upgrade to (LE) v9, my system is hanging on bootup. Many hours of systematic troubleshooting determined that it doesn't like subfolders within the plug-ins folder, a fairly common practice for s/w installers, and a convenience to be sure for large collections. It always hangs on the last plug-in the the last folder alphabetically. I pull that out and then it hangs on the next to last (ie now the last). Pull out the folder and it hangs on the last one in the next folder up the alphabet - always on a plug-in that had previously loaded fine. Pull out all the subfolders and it now hangs on the last plug-in in the main plug-in folder. This last one is more disturbing, as it has no obvious solution. With the folder problem I can move them into the main folder and they again load fine, but how now? I've got work to do and this one's driving me insane. FWIW have Media Composer v5.0 in the same system and it encounters the same problem. Anyone had this experience and/or any suggestions? I haven't tried reinstalling PT or MC, which I'd prefer to avoid if I can. Thx for any help.

Chief Technician 04-03-2011 07:17 PM

Re: Plug-in load crashes

Media Composer uses the same plug-ins, yes? Does Media Composer launch successfully?

tipthepostman 04-04-2011 05:41 PM

No, MC hangs the same way. It makes me suspect something in the engine, as opposed to the app itself. I have trashed the usual prefs (digisetup, DAE prefs, PT prefs) several times. My system is a Macbook Pro 2.5 Ghz/4 Gb running OSX 10.6.6, PT v9.0. In the course of troubleshooting I managed to get PT to fully boot once, but the next time it hung on the last plug-in again. Where I have an AU version and/or a stand-alone version of the plug-ins I've tried them and have yet to find one that won't load normally in either of those incarnations (I use Logic v9 for arranging). I'm running out of hair to pull out - I may start in on my teeth soon.

Chief Technician 04-04-2011 07:15 PM

Uninstall Media Composer, clean uninstall Pro Tools, and start over. I don't know if they need to be installed in a certain order or not.

tipthepostman 04-06-2011 04:47 PM

Thanks Jonathan, I'll try that. Right now I have access to a couple of HD systems that are cleanly running the processors I need, so I'll pick up my laptop troubleshooting after I deliver this job...

Craig F 04-06-2011 07:25 PM

I'd start by:
a) checking that all plugs are up to date
b) pull all but stock Avid plugs and try a launch
c) assuming b was good, add back one manufacture at a time and recheck the launch

eb11augmaj7b9dim 09-13-2011 12:12 PM

I have the same problem as tipthepostman, though possibly of a simpler nature.

Background: I had Pro Tools 8 LE installed on Mac OS X 10.6, using the Mbox 2 interface. It worked perfectly. I upgraded to Mac OS X 10.7.1 Lion and crossgraded to Pro Tools 9.0.5 (full installer). (I use neither third-party plug-ins nor Media Composer.) As previously posted, the launch would crash on the last plug-in. Remove that plug-in, and it now crashes on the next-to-last plug-in, and so on. Remove all plug-ins, and it crashes before it gets to any plug-ins.

In the 10 or so times that I've done a clean uninstall followed by a full reinstall, Pro Tools would successfully launch maybe two times before crashing on launch again.

Here's a list of things I've tried that have not worked:
1. Install the up-to-date Mbox 2 driver before installing Pro Tools.
2. Install the up-to-date Mbox 2 driver after installing Pro Tools.
3. Don't install the Mbox 2 driver at all, and leave it unplugged.
4. Run the Plug-in Updater v8.0.3 after installing Pro Tools (not sure if this makes sense, anyhow).
5. Get rid of Celemony Melodyne Essential v8 and Torq LE v8, which are leftover from Pro Tools 8 LE. (I can't figure out how to remove FXpansion BFD Lite v8.)

Here's my abridged system profile and a sample crash log.

I'm all out of ideas, and this doesn't seem to be in the official documentation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chief Technician 09-13-2011 07:34 PM

Do you have any FireWire peripherals connected?

eb11augmaj7b9dim 09-13-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Technician (Post 1834934)
Do you have any FireWire peripherals connected?

Nope.

eb11augmaj7b9dim 09-14-2011 09:47 AM

I seem to have fixed the problem. I read on some corner of the internet that it helps to restart the computer, and load Pro Tools before any other programs launch. I've done this several times and it appears to work.

Just to check, I also tried launching Pro Tools after some programs have already launched, and it fails 100% of the time.