Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

spkguitar 03-13-2004 06:25 PM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Thanks, Keith. Our bass player was really young and timid, and I couldn't get a good level on the original mix. I think I may have overcompensated this time!

Keith Owens 03-13-2004 06:26 PM

Hi Roy, wow man great arrangement (Like A Vampire) with all the instruments. I like it. If it is not a none deal the producer in me has to agree with Graveleye on bringing up the vox a little, say 1 db in verses and 2 db in choruses. Also, on the guitar that comes in at 2:39- 2:43, how about a delay on the very last note so that it repeats as it fades away? That's what I am hearing, but who am I? Your music is great.

antiphase 03-13-2004 07:18 PM

Re: Mac Mixes!!!!!!!!

Check it out, see what you like or don't like. I'm open to criticism. This is a friends band that I have been recording since last summer. If this link works there should be a song called "Hand Over Fist"........... yes I think it's a Rush title, but the band doesn't care. For some weird reason the link works correctly with internet explorer, but not safari........... just a heads up.

http://www.upsideright.com/songs.html

Micah777 03-13-2004 08:38 PM

spkguitar- great song, love the vocal harmonies. I like the bass where it is... maybe bring it down just a little but I don't think it overpowers the mix. Great voice/vocal performance. The mix is much better than the orginal. Its amazing how much difference a great mix can have on someone's perspective of a song. Great job! On occasion, a song on this thread catches me in a way that makes me listen more than once (i.e. I really like it). This song caught me.

spkguitar 03-13-2004 10:10 PM

Micah, Thank you. Much appreciated. More to come soon.

Rabidium 03-13-2004 10:27 PM

Hey, thanks guys! I had a lot of fun with the mice. Shame about the cat I rented. 8oD
My mom got the CD today, I called her at 6:30 and asked what she thought about the songs... She said she hadn't put it in yet, because Garrison was on! I guess Garrison Keillor is more important than me... (it's OK, I was listening too) :-)

Anyway, she called me a little while later and told me she absolutely loved it! She asked who I got to sing the vocals, and when I told her it was me, she made me do the voice-cracking thing over and over again. Wouldn't stop laughing! So I guess it went over well. I actually did a lot of silly versions of the song, because the main one took so long to mix (and fix) and I got so sick of that chorus! Maybe I'll throw an ep together....
-Olaf

Rabidium 03-13-2004 10:39 PM

spkgtr- I like your song, the hook is very hooky, and the opening guitar is very hip-hop... it doesn't sound like typical Christian Radio production, which imho is a very good thing. I like the flow of the song, and the way the instruments erupt into the Choruses. Can I offer some thoughts on the production? If you have an uneffected version of the first guitar, you may try adding a little bit of the original back under the effected version, you may like how it evens out the sound. I like the hook, but I think I'd like it more with some variety. If there was a chorused voice on it, it could feel more natural. If you really want to make it anthemic, make that a crowd effect and make your audience want to sing along...

I'd just do a hard cut on the bass, just cut the bottom off completely, that way the bass can fit better in the mix, and I bet the kick drum shows up a lot better. Right now it's kinda MIA because of the bass. And if you push the guitar up at 250Hz or so it might pop out of the mix a little more...

Oh, and no offense, but that tinkly chime thing at the end is cheesy, and kinda musak-y. (well some offense, but in good humor.) I'd pull it out altogether, but definitely lighten up on the panning if you keep it. Normals freak out when they hear that kind of thing, it hurts brains. Listen to the ending without that, it has a great fake build-release thing going, and the drumming's great.. just fade it away.
Hope that's more constructive than the other thing...
-Olaf

Rabidium 03-13-2004 10:44 PM

spkgtr- I just listened to the original version for the first time, and that really is a great remix. Really changes the dynamic of the song - makes it memorable. Good remix, man.
-Olaf

Roy Howell 03-14-2004 12:07 AM

Quote:

Hi Roy, wow man great arrangement (Like A Vampire) with all the instruments. I like it. If it is not a none deal the producer in me has to agree with Graveleye on bringing up the vox a little, say 1 db in verses and 2 db in choruses. Also, on the guitar that comes in at 2:39- 2:43, how about a delay on the very last note so that it repeats as it fades away? That's what I am hearing, but who am I? Your music is great.

Good ideas, Keith. Thanks...I'll do that when I remix it. I think I need to have it resung though (not by me), so I won't be so shy with the vocal level for the final mix. I did a quick bounce without vocals, and I think the tracks-only mix is pretty good. Here's that mix if you care to listen.
thanks, Roy

Like a Vampire-music only

spkguitar/Shawn,
Great song...I like everything about it. The mix, the vocals, everything feels good. Good job.
-Roy

Micah,
I write both jingles and songs for a living...the jingles are the steadiest income. There's also a good chance some of my music will be on one or two film projects this year, one of which has been accepted by the producer. So we'll see what happens.
How about you? How are you involved in music?
thanks, Roy

Rabidium/Olaf,
Cool rendition of 'Blue Moon'...and I don't think I've ever hear a mouse burp before...

shabbadoo 03-14-2004 08:25 AM

Re: Mac Mixes!!!!!!!!

wow, what a cool thread!

I've just joined the forum, and technically I dont have a Pro Tools LE system (yet!). I actually just bought a Digi001 off ebay Friday night, or at least I won the auction for it, haven't heard from the seller yet....(nervous laughter). I can't wait 'til it arrives. I've worked with my friend's 001 quite a bit and used Pro Tools Free extensively for about a year now. When I saw that the 001 was going pretty cheap on ebay, I decided to quit waiting until I could afford the 002 and just get it.

Anyway, I love this thread, I've really enjoyed hearing all the different kinds of music being made by you folks. I've only been able to listen to some of it so far, since there's so much of it! But I'm going to make my way through all of it as I have the time.

I have some songs I can share too, they've been recorded in many different combinations, recorded chiefly with my mac's sound card (and Pro Tools Free) and/or a Tascam Portastudio. They were mixed on my friend's LE system though, (except for the tracks from "Redoubled") so they qualify for this thread, I think.

I also just bought a funky old Tascam Series 70 1/2" 8 track and I'm hoping I can sync it to my 001 somehow using a MTC or SMPTE box or something, but that's a whole 'nother topic.. (although if you happen to know the easiest/cheapest way to go about this ie: what kind of sync box I should get, whether it's even practical/possible with the 001, etc. I sure would apprecialte it if you messaged me )

Anyway, as you may have guessed, I'm dirt poor and everything I do is about getting as good sound as possible for as cheap as possible. I don't even want the nicest, most expensive gear really, I just wanna make records. I think too much expense and gear gets in the way of having fun and making music. I love hearing people say things like "wow, you did this on a 4 track?". If you want, you can check out some pics of our ever-so-humble little recording setup (we call it Minivan Studios because it's so small) on my photo page. It's actually a pretty productive little spot, mostly used for my own projects, but I also record lots of friends' bands and do various similar little jobs. I think I do pretty well for the little amount of stuff I have. I'm upgrading bit by bit, but only when I can find a bargain.

here's my link:

Minivan Studios: Music