Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   MTRX Studio, need more than 16 analog inputs (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=415147)

starlingmusic 04-27-2021 08:20 PM

MTRX Studio, need more than 16 analog inputs

Hi Everyone,

Quick question:

If I need more than 16 analog inputs (TRS)

what is best/doable?

buy another MTRX studio? and link it to the same HDX card on port 2

or do I need a second HDX card,
In that case how do you link the two HDX cards when they are in a Thunderbolt 3 rackmount.

Using another Thunderbolt 3 cable between the 2 TB3?

Thank you all.

LukeHoward 04-27-2021 10:26 PM

Re: MTRX Studio, need more than 16 analog inputs

A single HDX card can support up to 64 inputs and outputs so no, you don't need another HDX card (if you did, though, it would need to be in the same computer or chassis as the first card as they are connected directly to each other by a short TDM/SATA cable).

As an alternative to a second MTRX Studio you could use a MTRX with multiple A/D cards but, it may not work out any cheaper though.

BScout 04-27-2021 10:54 PM

A lot of issues with your question.

First off, if you need more analogue inputs, then yes, another interface will be necessary (doesn't have to be MTRX Studio.) BUT.... you could also use the DANTE on the MTRX Studio to expand to more analogue inputs. There are plenty of DANTE to Analogue converters.

As Luke mentioned, each HDX card supports 64 channels. If you were using the full complement of i/o on the MTRX Studio, that would require using all 64. If you aren't, you could only use 32 channels (one port) and attach a second interface for another 32. (However, if you use the DANTE mentioned above, you'd be using both ports again)

As for multiple HDX cards -- depends on the chassis. No, you can't use multiple chassis with HDX cards in each of them. HDX cards have to be all in the same chassis. Sounds like you are using the Avid one that can only hold 1 HDX card. Sonnet and Magma both make chassis that can hold up to 3 cards. When multiple cards are in the same chassis, there's a little ribbon cable that connects the HDX cards together.

uptheoctave 04-28-2021 05:16 AM

I suggest expanding it with Dante.

Products such as the Focusrite A16R, Ferrofish Pulse DX, Lynx Aurora Dante and others.
You might want to think about going for something fan-less (Aurora and Ferrofish) but it is your call there.

All you need to do is connect the devices to the same ethernet network and route them in Dante controller and they will turn up as Pro Tools IO.

As stated, you have up to 64 channels to play with when using the MTRX Studio, and it will work with a single HDX card.

If you need to expand beyond one HDX card (ie want more than 64 channels of IO) then you need to have the HDX cards housed in the same chassis, as they need to be connected together with a small, supplied cable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by starlingmusic (Post 2600731)
Hi Everyone,

Quick question:

what is best/doable?

or do I need a second HDX card,
In that case how do you link the two HDX cards when they are in a Thunderbolt 3 rackmount.

Using another Thunderbolt 3 cable between the 2 TB3?

Thank you all.

bewk 04-28-2021 07:56 AM

There are the optical converters as well. It has 16 channels of ADAT built in so those could be used with an analog front end. Some options out there for 8 channel mic pres that convert directly to ADAT.

LukeHoward 04-28-2021 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bewk (Post 2600775)
There are the optical converters as well. It has 16 channels of ADAT built in so those could be used with an analog front end. Some options out there for 8 channel mic pres that convert directly to ADAT.

This will be the least expensive option :)

JCBigler 04-28-2021 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starlingmusic (Post 2600731)
Hi Everyone,

Quick question:

what is best/doable?

You can get an HD I/O and attach it to the PORT 2 Digilink port with whatever I/O card you need on the MTRX Studio for another 16 channels. Then you attach another HD I/O to the second Digilink port on your HDX card, and hang another HD I/O off the expansion port of that HD I/O for 64 channels into Protools via your HDX card and MTRX Studio.

Or you can use Dante. Or you can use ADAT. ADAT is probably the cheapest way to go. But the HD I/O is the more Pro way to do it. Dante is the Future networking guru way to do it.

creativecontrol 04-29-2021 07:44 AM

Here's an interesting option for ADAT expansion:
https://www.cranborne-audio.com/500adat

Jeff

starlingmusic 04-29-2021 08:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you all for your prompt responses.

I think I'll go with a second MTRX Studio.

I attached a drawing trying to understand the connections between MTRX Studio(s) and HDX Card.

My understanding is:

A1 to C1
B1 to C2

Do I need a connection between the MTRX themselves?

again thank you for your help and for sharing knowledge ;-)

JCBigler 04-29-2021 01:11 PM

Why would you buy another MTRX Studio? There's better and cheaper ways to do this.