Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Poll: How many still using PPC? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=255427)

formfunction 09-26-2009 07:48 PM

Poll: How many still using PPC?

Considering that the Crossgrade price (never mind the purported price increase) and a computer upgrade cost is, in some cases, many times the cost of keeping legacy hardware; Let's let Digi know that dropping support for this will adversely affect many of us as well
At least support PPC until you come out with new HD architecture/hardware and we can take it on the chin then. It is scare to consider the crossgrade when the TDM platform is so old and the rumor mill predicts new "stuff" just round the corner. Or come out and say "we don't plan on introducing new hardware for 18 months" and many of us will feel a WHOLE lot better about "cross-grading"

I use a PPC 2.7... It runs PT 8.0.1 very satisfactorily for my needs.

EDIT... PLEASE GO TO THE END OF THE THREAD AND TAKE A NUMBER AFTER THE LAST POSTER.

trying to keep it "scientific"....trying to keep stats.

Craig F 09-26-2009 07:58 PM

Re: Poll: How many still using PPC?

Apple is killing PPC w/ 10.6 not Digi

Jeff D. 09-26-2009 09:01 PM

Even Apple's apps don't require 10.6 yet.

I can see killing PPC at PT version 9, but killing it at PT version 8.0.2 when all of the work has already been done for PPC compatibility in version 8.0.1 just seems like a convenient/financially motivated move to me.

dbjp 09-26-2009 09:15 PM

Well, I think it would be insane for Avid to stop making updates for PPC/Non-snow leopard Macs before PT9 in the sense that they were only charging people for it without any info regarding development till recently.
It's still full of bugs. I don't want to, but I would seriously consider another platform if Digi suddenly stops updates. And this is coming from a PCIe user.

jeremyroberts 09-26-2009 09:21 PM

PPC G5 2.7DP
Rock solid.

Would I prefer a faster mac? Of course.
Do I want to toss my investment in PCI HD cards? Why toss it if it still works just fine?

Studio Dweller 09-26-2009 09:28 PM

My G5 PPC died last year and I was forced to bite the bullet. I opted to get an 8-core Mac Pro and do the PCIe crossgrade instead of getting a chassis and keeping my PCIx cards. It was a hard pill to swallow, but I'm glad it's out of the way and I can be more than happy with this system for a while now.

digidesigner 09-27-2009 12:21 AM

G5 2.0DP going strong here..

smfelton 09-27-2009 01:05 AM

PPC still for me too on HD rig, and for a long while to come too.

Rail Jon Rogut 09-27-2009 01:27 AM

There are a lot of Major LA studios and rental companies which are using PPC's for all their systems... and will not be able to afford the upgrade. Especially not in this economy and with current album budgets. This is one way to force the professional studios to leave the platform.

Rail

Louisblanc 09-27-2009 01:56 AM

Well I will cast my vote in as a PPC HD user. G5 DP 2.0 to be exact.
But if this thread is any indication, I would not expect "Avid" to get too panicked.