Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ugg...I hate building new workstations (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=414263)

JCBigler 02-26-2021 05:24 PM

Ugg...I hate building new workstations

The thing I hate most about building new Protools work station is trying to get all the plugins installed and authorized. The iLok ones are relatively easy. But all the other's that don't use a centralized authorization service are a PITA.

And then you have to try to remember which one you had and where you kept the authorizations codes. resetting passwords to every website because you haven't logged in in 3 or 4 years. And then waiting for my slow ass satellite internet to download everything.

Wish there was a better way.

Would be cool if the iLok system had a link built in to go download the software automatically, so you just slect which ones you want to install and it fetches the installers remotely from each website.

musicman691 02-27-2021 11:23 AM

Re: Ugg...I hate building new workstations

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCBigler (Post 2594577)
The thing I hate most about building new Protools work station is trying to get all the plugins installed and authorized. The iLok ones are relatively easy. But all the other's that don't use a centralized authorization service are a PITA.

And then you have to try to remember which one you had and where you kept the authorizations codes. resetting passwords to every website because you haven't logged in in 3 or 4 years. And then waiting for my slow ass satellite internet to download everything.

Wish there was a better way.

Would be cool if the iLok system had a link built in to go download the software automatically, so you just slect which ones you want to install and it fetches the installers remotely from each website.

This is why I dedicate a separate drive for nothing but installers. And a listing of what plugins I got from where, their auth codes, serial numbers, etc. And of course a list of site logins & passwords that is NOT on my computer.

JCBigler 02-27-2021 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2594645)
This is why I dedicate a separate drive for nothing but installers. And a listing of what plugins I got from where, their auth codes, serial numbers, etc. And of course a list of site logins & passwords that is NOT on my computer.

I used to keep a folder with all my installers and pass codes etc... on it.

But, I'm adding a MacBook Pro to my tool box, so I need all new installers anyway.

musicman691 02-27-2021 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCBigler (Post 2594651)
I used to keep a folder with all my installers and pass codes etc... on it.

But, I'm adding a MacBook Pro to my tool box, so I need all new installers anyway.

You giving up on Windoze? ;)

JCBigler 02-27-2021 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2594652)
You giving up on Windoze? ;)

Never said I was giving up Windows. I'm adding a Mac to the gear cabinet, mostly as a back up unit for my primary Windows machine and so I can do redundant recording for live events.

I only got the Mac so that I can run QLab. Otherwise I would have gotten another Lenovo P15 workstation. :cool:

EGS 02-28-2021 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCBigler (Post 2594577)
The thing I hate most about building new Protools work station is trying to get all the plugins installed and authorized.... Wish there was a better way...

Microsoft Sysprep.

DonaldM 03-03-2021 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EGS (Post 2594705)
Microsoft Sysprep.

What does this do?

JCBigler 03-03-2021 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldM (Post 2594941)
What does this do?

Furthermore, how does it apply to a Macintosh computer?

EGS 03-05-2021 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCBigler (Post 2594947)
Furthermore, how does it apply to a Macintosh computer?

Win only.