Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   PT12.4 latency issue!! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=383162)

watksco 08-05-2016 08:05 PM

PT12.4 latency issue!!

I'm getting huge latency (delay) when I record. Buffer is set to 64 in audio engine...sounds more like 1024!!

i76700 - asus z170-K mobo - windows 7

Is there some settings in windows that I'm missing?

I have a session tomorrow - urgent!

watksco 08-05-2016 08:21 PM

Re: PT12.4 latency issue!!

Also, I'm using a 002Rack.

TNM 08-05-2016 09:28 PM

sorry but this is so little info to go on, i don't have any idea how you expect us to be able to help you.

Win 7 what service pack? What firewire adapter? Is it a texas instruments chipset? You have your latest mobo bios? Have you tried putting win 7 firewire into legacy driver mode?
and so on! I am sure this is user error of some kind.

Led 08-05-2016 09:28 PM

Have you got any plugins on the track you're recording on or your master buss?

TNM 08-05-2016 09:31 PM

Oh, and you're using the 9.06 002 rack driver right?
http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...81451.zip?ns=1

that's the latest Win 7 official digi 002 RACK driver

And yes, you might simply have a latent plugin in the signal path, as Led says. I find topics like this so frustrating when the user provides such scarce info.

Southsidemusic 08-05-2016 09:34 PM

Hi

What hard drives do you have, speed, make model, do you have any CD in the dvd player slot? Do you have Floppy driver enabled in BIOS even though you don't have a floppy? Very important to check and if you have a floppy controller deactivate that ASAP! Also if you have any USB drive inserted into the computer?

The more info the better we can help. Try those things i mentioned out and post back what you found.

albee1952 08-05-2016 09:53 PM

More thoughts:
In Pro Tools, go to View>Mix Window Shows>check Delay Compensation
Now look across the bottom of the MIX window at the numbers. Top number is latency on that track's plugin(s)(the track with orange numbers has the most). If you see numbers higher than 7-10 samples, plugins on that track are causing latency(make them inactive while tracking to remove the latency)

The middle of those 3 numbers is how much compensation being added so that all tracks will match. The bottom number is the total combined latency or each track(the sum of latency ON that track and added compensation).

If you see numbers that make no sense(and you might), its probably a bug in routing thru AUX tracks. I say its a bug as I was seeing 1900+ samples of compensation in some sessions where the most on any given track was 7 samples. I managed to trace it to an AUX track with a send feeding the same track(send level was all the way down or it would have caused a feedback loop). That was a case of copying sends(Alt-drag) and not paying attention:o

TNM 08-05-2016 11:14 PM

BTW to the OP, I just noticed you're in melbourne, so if you can't get it fixed and are not too far away, i should be able to catch up with you and fix the issue. But let's hope you fix it by just doing the usual checks. Keep us posted :)

watksco 08-06-2016 03:43 PM

Thank you all. It was a plug across the drum buss - Slate virtual tape machine. So what's the deal? I had delay compensation checked...and no delay compensation happening? I thought Pro Tools did all the math on that now?

Darryl Ramm 08-06-2016 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watksco (Post 2374167)
Thank you all. It was a plug across the drum buss - Slate virtual tape machine. So what's the deal? I had delay compensation checked...and no delay compensation happening? I thought Pro Tools did all the math on that now?

Not sure exactly what you are doing (recording drums? or something else? via that bus?) if you are recording though that plugin, well... delay compensation is not time travel, it can't magically go back in real-world time. And some plugins may be reporting latency wrong, etc. you need to troubleshoot by the delay they are showing in the UI and carefully tracing out the bussing and thinking about what signals are being recorded.