Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   MY DIGI 002 RACK DONT WORK (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=83832)

JOAN ROSALES 09-17-2003 06:09 AM

MY DIGI 002 RACK DONT WORK

the mute light will go on, none of the buttons on the front panel do anything, and the unit loses communication with the Pro Tools software. Even when the unit isn't plugged into the computer, the mute button on the front is constantly lit and it makes a clicking sound, sort of like a relay tripping about once every second.

SOMEBODY SAID ME,, digidesign IS SENDING a KIT REPAIR

I DONT KNOW,,,, HOW I OBTAIN THE KIT

SOMEBODY WANTS TO HELP ME

Cliffy_Boy 09-17-2003 06:12 AM

Re: MY DIGI 002 RACK DONT WORK

You need a new power harness. Call Digi tech support and they will overnite you a new one. Very simple install. Every 002R eventually gets this problem.

olguitar 09-17-2003 06:54 AM

Mine had this problem too. They overnighted me a FedEx return tag, I sent them the machine yesterday. They claim I'll have it back tomorrow. If that's the case, that's wonderful service. Give them a call.

pk_hat 09-17-2003 07:53 AM

Quote:

Every 002R eventually gets this problem.

Hmm....so as I plan to buy an 002R in a few weeks, are we saying that I can already expect this to happen, or will the new units be shipped with the fix already implemented? Having happily owned a Digi001 for over 2 years (now sold), I can honestly say that all these issues with the 002 and 002R are disheartening. Sure, they offer fixes, but from such a reputable "hardware" company, it's near unacceptable.

I've been so looking forward to a spanking new 002R and get back to 6.1 after a little PT break, and I'm still going ahead with the plan, but I think quality control has seriously lagged at Digi as of late.

my fitty cent...

jpoprock 09-17-2003 07:57 AM

I got my 002r a few weeks ago and haven't had a problem....until today. The EXACT same thing happens as you describe. Mute light, unresponsive, no lights, etc. In fact, I can hear it clicking... <click>...<click>....<click>...

I'll call Digi tomorrow and get a repair kit. And hopefully that will fix the problem. I'm not going to sweat it.

Jason

audioeric 09-17-2003 08:22 AM

Another thing you have to remember to is that usually the only reason people come to message boards is to complain about a problem, or see if anyone else is having the same problems and get the resolved.. That's the number 1 drawer to a certain Message Board, when it's owned by a manufacturer, or sales company.. Which is why many of them don't have them.. Because people come onto their message boards and see nothing but problems, and to the reader, that would be everyone else that owns that product is having problems..

Just something to keep in mind..

eric

jpoprock 09-17-2003 08:45 AM

That is exactly right. That's why sites like epinions and amazon review have to be taken w/ a grain of salt. the only ones posting are usually the minority w/ problems. Plus, half the time, the competition is posting negative things secretly.

jason

Cliffy_Boy 09-17-2003 12:07 PM

pk - get the 002R and don't lose sleep. With PT 6.1.1 you can use the midi ports. If the unit clicks, the new harness gets there in the morning and aside from removinbg 18 little scrtews, the harness just plugs in. I've had the repair for a month with no issues - also no more DAE buffer errors ( a coincidence?). You will probably get a good unit since the problem ones are from July. If you are worried, have the store custom order a new one instead of from inventory.

jpoprock 09-17-2003 12:24 PM

Agreed. I just called Digi, they emailed me a release, I'm faxing it back, and should have my new harness to install within two days tops. If you can unscrew stuff, you can put the new harness in. Apperantly the manufacturer of the harness had a slight variation in one of the wire gauges that causes improper signal flow and can happen at any given time. This is a fairly sizable problem for Digi as 3% of all 002r's have this faulty harness. 3% doesn't seem like a lot, but it's a rather large number considering how many they shipped out. They'd rather it be less than a percent. But they are very quick to respond to rectify the problem. And for those too afraid to fix it themselves, you can opt to send Digi the unit I believe.

Jason

tucum 09-17-2003 12:33 PM

Is there a way to verify if my rack is one of the faulties before it crashes?