Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Hybrid Engine/ DSP Mode latency issue (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=420856)

skinnyelephant 07-06-2022 06:21 PM

Hybrid Engine/ DSP Mode latency issue

I had an issue today that seems like a bug with 2022.6

While tracking on a dense session with the hybrid engine on and putting the tracks i was recording on in DSP mode everything worked as expected. When i disabled DSP mode after recording the tracks weren't playing back aligned correctly. Quitting pro tools and reopening the session fixed the problem. Anybody else?

Mac Pro Late 2013 Trashcan/ OSX Mojave 10.14.6/ 2 Avid HDIO 16x16's with HDX card. Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.6

Will Russell 07-07-2022 03:09 AM

Re: Hybrid Engine/ DSP Mode latency issue

Same problem here. For me it happens on a session with folder tracks and regular tracks having a send to the same bus.

Farhoof 07-07-2022 04:34 AM

Did this start with 2022.6 or was it faulty before?

Will Russell 07-07-2022 05:28 AM

It's been around for a couple versions. Hoping they sorted out soon because it's a total drag

skinnyelephant 07-07-2022 11:27 AM

Have you found any workarounds for it? I don't think the session I was working in had any folder tracks

CHRIS AIKEN 07-17-2022 02:34 PM

Yes the hybrid engine has delay compensation problems…very buggy. There’s another thread on the Carbon page describing different issues people including myself are having.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dominicperry 07-18-2022 04:13 AM

Everyone who is impacted by this needs to raise a support ticket with Avid please.
Their attendance here is insufficient to see that this is a big deal and needs to be fixed.

Dominic

MCorbin 07-19-2022 06:14 AM

Yep, what Dominic said... please log a case. Make sure the agent associates it with an ADC bug so we can track and prioritize it.

CHRIS AIKEN 07-21-2022 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCorbin (Post 2642377)
Yep, what Dominic said... please log a case. Make sure the agent associates it with an ADC bug so we can track and prioritize it.

With all due respect. You notified us in January on the Carbon “sync issue” thread that this had been marked as a “critical issue” to be addressed.

You are now here a half year later asking people to help it get prioritized?

Something seems off about that to me I’m afraid.

matt mahaffey 07-22-2022 09:00 AM

I run dense sessions but have to enable the Hybrid Engine to overdub constantly. As soon as i turn Hybrid off, my audio is misaligned. I have found that if i simply click "Setup" and then "Playback Engine" and close the window having changed nothing..... everything aligns back properly. Talk about a ghost in the machine. Try it instead of relaunching the session, might save you some time!

CHRIS AIKEN 07-22-2022 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt mahaffey (Post 2642558)
I run dense sessions but have to enable the Hybrid Engine to overdub constantly. As soon as i turn Hybrid off, my audio is misaligned. I have found that if i simply click "Setup" and then "Playback Engine" and close the window having changed nothing..... everything aligns back properly. Talk about a ghost in the machine. Try it instead of relaunching the session, might save you some time!

Yes it's not fun when the talent is ready to do another take and you have to "fiddle" with the system to get to play properly.

I had a new one the other day. While tracking players live...playback through the speakers was fine. In there headphones things were delayed and all over the place. I had to restart the session and then it worked as expected.

MCorbin 07-22-2022 01:09 PM

Totally fair comment.

We actively track the number of cases associated with bugs. Bugs with higher cases counts tend to get prioritized higher.

I can champion for this to be fixed internally, and have been, but there are always bugs to be fixed and it is always helpful to have your voices formalized and counted in a case.

m

CHRIS AIKEN 07-22-2022 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCorbin (Post 2642580)
Totally fair comment.

We actively track the number of cases associated with bugs. Bugs with higher cases counts tend to get prioritized higher.

I can champion for this to be fixed internally, and have been, but there are always bugs to be fixed and it is always helpful to have your voices formalized and counted in a case.

m

Ok thanks for giving some insight.

Obviously it’s a very corporate way of looking at a problem in a business... squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Maybe you could stress to them the severity of this...it’s not like most bugs that are a slight inconvenience.

It really makes you look bad in front of clients when their performance plays back in a different way than they laid it down.

. I’ve never had an issue that made me want to stop using an avid product in my over 20 years of TDM/HDX systems.

I’ve seen a couple people get rid of their Carbon over this.

I’ll do the same if it’s not sorted sooner than later.

Not that I want to but this negative is starting to out weigh the positive of the product for me.

I’ll submit a support ticket to help roll things along.

Matt Hepworth 07-31-2022 12:20 PM

Quote:

Interesting workaround. Maybe it works that way with Carbon as well.

Boe Larsen 08-03-2022 02:50 AM

I experience this issue also. It's sort of the core of what this system is suppose to do. Not a really pro tool...

blastula 08-13-2022 01:32 PM

Workaround: De-activating and Re-activating the track puts it back in sync.

SoundReplay 08-31-2022 11:33 PM

Same issue here. Using Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.7.
Recording drums with 10 enabled DSP track, all goes well. When deselecting the DSP mode, the drums are completely out of sync with the rest of the track (weird delay is being introduced, so it's not just the 10 tracks out of sync with the rest of the song).
Anyone has the correct procedure to open a case at Avid? Thanks!

dominicperry 09-01-2022 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundReplay (Post 2645857)
Same issue here. Using Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.7.
Recording drums with 10 enabled DSP track, all goes well. When deselecting the DSP mode, the drums are completely out of sync with the rest of the track (weird delay is being introduced, so it's not just the 10 tracks out of sync with the rest of the song).
Anyone has the correct procedure to open a case at Avid? Thanks!

https://my.avid.com/sso/Salesforce

dominicperry 09-01-2022 03:53 AM

It's worth raising tickets with Avid. They fixed a specific problem I reported with Carbon, just for me!

Dominic

Farhoof 09-01-2022 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominicperry (Post 2645865)
It's worth raising tickets with Avid. They fixed a specific problem I reported with Carbon, just for me!

Dominic

YMMV, none of the issues I reported in the last 4,5 years have been fixed. Not one. All are logged as a bug, case closed without a fix. Some are still causing major issues for us.
Nice to hear others have better experiences though.

dominicperry 09-01-2022 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farhoof (Post 2645869)
YMMV, none of the issues I reported in the last 4,5 years have been fixed. Not one. All are logged as a bug, case closed without a fix. Some are still causing major issues for us.
Nice to hear others have better experiences though.

Yes, sorry to hear that. "My" bug was fixed with a Carbon firmware update, so probably a different product team and a different skill-set to the main PT software, which undoubtedly has a massive backlog of issues.

Dominic

matt mahaffey 09-02-2022 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHRIS AIKEN (Post 2642602)
Ok thanks for giving some insight.

Obviously it’s a very corporate way of looking at a problem in a business... squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Maybe you could stress to them the severity of this...it’s not like most bugs that are a slight inconvenience.

It really makes you look bad in front of clients when their performance plays back in a different way than they laid it down.

. I’ve never had an issue that made me want to stop using an avid product in my over 20 years of TDM/HDX systems.

I’ve seen a couple people get rid of their Carbon over this.

I’ll do the same if it’s not sorted sooner than later.

Not that I want to but this negative is starting to out weigh the positive of the product for me.

I’ll submit a support ticket to help roll things along.

Totally agree with Chris. I've been with Avid almost since inception, and i'd take TDM waaaaay over this.

Let's get on the support ticket, get it fixed, or i'm definitely jumping off the Hybrid train and taking my composer team with me.

Guy McDude 09-28-2022 05:31 PM

long time PT user, new to the this Hybrid thing.
Its absolutely broken.
unusable.

Ive submitted MANY complaints / videos.
Its odd/ sad PT support did not inform me that this is a known bug.

Apple M1 Studio Max
OS 12.5.1
64 GB ram
HDX sonnet TB3/4 chasis
PT version 2022.9

Boe Larsen 10-04-2022 04:35 AM

Any experiences in this regard with the new 2022.9.0?

Guy McDude 10-08-2022 04:38 PM

yes, still broken here.

Apple M1 Studio Max
OS 12.5.1
64 GB ram
HDX sonnet TB3/4 chasis
PT version 2022.9

XJENSEN 10-08-2022 05:00 PM

Here too. The delay compensation is completely random. They really need to address this!

ejsongs 10-09-2022 03:24 AM

I’ve stopped using the hybrid engine. Other than higher voice count, there really wasn’t much of a benefit for me. The cpu hit was about the same either way for me as I’m running a cheesegrater 3.46 5,1. 96gb.

I planning on getting a 2nd hdx card which will provide ample voices unless I star working at higher sample rates.

Boe Larsen 10-09-2022 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJENSEN (Post 2649785)
Here too. The delay compensation is completely random. They really need to address this!

Ouch...

Arichlsss 02-17-2023 08:33 PM

Still broken …

Hybrid mode is literal garbage for a professional tool. I have so many issues with delay compensation in hybrid mode.

If you need to track stay in hdx mode

Boe Larsen 02-18-2023 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arichlsss (Post 2662315)
Still broken …

Hybrid mode is literal garbage for a professional tool. I have so many issues with delay compensation in hybrid mode.

If you need to track stay in hdx mode

Strange...

Arichlsss 02-19-2023 07:30 AM

I’ve got two hdx cards. On a blank sessions if I bring up a blank track to record and have a few aux’s with hadware inserts the delay comensation does not work even though all the aux’s and track are in hybrid mode. Hdx mode works.

Also none of the track misalignment issues we taking a track out of hybrid mode.

It’s a same to have to figure out the features that work and the ones that don’t but that’s life.

Still a great product I’m just saying off of hybrid unless it’s the only way and then I’ll be prepared for the issues.

Guy McDude 03-11-2023 07:51 PM

Quote:

yes!
this seems to shake things loose, and re shuffles the deck.

terribly maddening when youre working alone, maddening AND embarressing when theres clients there.

tonwurm 03-28-2023 07:50 AM

It seems that the latest update (2023.3) made no change to this issue

Boe Larsen 03-28-2023 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonwurm (Post 2666390)
It seems that the latest update (2023.3) made no change to this issue

:-(

fsavell 04-06-2023 06:30 PM

Not sure if this is the same issue, but sounds similar.

I have blip triggers sending to the side-chain of FF Pro-MB to gate toms. If I run the session in Hybrid mode, everything works great.

If I switch to DSP mode the timing/latency is off and tom trigger sounds terrible. Compensate for side-chains pref is active on both modes.

If I freeze or commit the triggered Tom tracks, its correct. I haven't really noticed latency issues on anything else when using DSP, but it's somewhat of a drag.

Happens on installs of both Monterey and Catalina.

Forrester

Kaneepa 10-09-2023 11:58 PM

Avid, please fix all the latency compensation issues in Hybrid Mode.

Whenever I record a new vocal in Hybrid mode, and I have a reverb send (to Revibe II), the playback is always late.
The moment I switch the tracks into native it goes back to normal.
If I deactivate the reverb send on the vocal track, playback is normal.

Please help. This is happening since the beginning of Hybrid engine, with different systems / OS / hardware.

tonwurm 10-11-2023 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneepa (Post 2683248)
Avid, please fix all the latency compensation issues in Hybrid Mode.

Whenever I record a new vocal in Hybrid mode, and I have a reverb send (to Revibe II), the playback is always late.
The moment I switch the tracks into native it goes back to normal.
If I deactivate the reverb send on the vocal track, playback is normal.

Please help. This is happening since the beginning of Hybrid engine, with different systems / OS / hardware.

doesn´t occur on my system... Hybrid mode activated, in both DSP mode enabled or disabled and a reverb send to Revibe II, playback is perfect

Kaneepa 10-13-2023 05:48 AM

It happens to me once you have two or more tracks sending to the DSP reverb. One typically is recording or in input, the other is playing back.. still in DSP mode (green sign on).

Guy McDude 11-07-2023 08:45 PM

Any Fix Yet?

we are still waiting....

XJENSEN 11-08-2023 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCorbin (Post 2642377)

With all due respect, but I have been filing numerous cases - probably over 20 - in the last 7 years relating to ADC problems alone. All this time, AVID has done absolutely nothing with that information, apart from giving me the big fat finger blaming it on user error.
You cannot believe how much of my time was lost speaking to clueless support agents about this. And now you will take things seriously all of a sudden?