Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Noise from my brand new Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=293599)

zuriain 02-01-2011 03:33 AM

Noise from my brand new Eleven Rack

First of all, sorry for my bad english. I'm writting from Pamplona, Basque Country and english is not my native language.
I have just received my 11R purchased from German Thomann music store... and I`m very dissapointed with it: It makes a lot of noise with the high gain settings. Is not a little hum or hiss.
When I touch metal parts of my guitar (strings, bridge, pickups, machine heads...) or the Eleven (on/off switch:eek:), electric cracks and terrible noise happen. I can feel the electricity running on my fingers! If I don´t touch the guitar or the Eleven, there is no noise.
It happens especially when I play notes sepparatelly or when the sound is dying out, specially with some high gain amps or settings.
I've tried with my two guitars (Ibanez Rg, Gibson flying V), several cables, headphones, monitors, connected to my pc, not connected... but the problem is still there.
Well... I hope somebody can help us. I´ve written Thomann store to report the problem. I hope they send me a new one...
Sorry again for my bad english, and thank you!

madgt621 02-01-2011 07:43 AM

Re: Noise from my brand new Eleven Rack

Sounds like a grounding issue. Make sure you're plugged into an outlet/surge protecter/power conditioner etc. that correctly goes to ground. After that, if the problem is not yet fixed, try messing with the "ground lift" switch on the back.

I had this problem with mine when I first got it, and in my old apartment (here in Japan), only one outlet went to ground. I plugged it into that one and 95% of the noise went away.

fly_with_v 02-01-2011 09:23 AM

This is most likely noise in your electical connections. Try an isolation grounding surge protector. I use an APC AV G5 power distribution unit. I had the exact same problem and this solved it. Try to plug the unit into different outlets in your house to see if the noise goes aways. Make sure all dimmer style lights are off, not dimmed all ther way, they cause a lot of electrical noise. Try unplugging and/or turning off everything in your house. If these things clear the problems up, you need to get a power distribution unit with filters and isolation. The best you can afford, not the cheapest. I have also had good luck with Tripplite Isotel Surge protector which are only about $60. If this is the problem I don't thingk ground lifting will help.

crashhak 02-01-2011 09:12 PM

I'm using Monster Power Pro 3500 with eleven rack, only reason I bought this unit is to get clean power/electricity. Maybe you should check it out.

zuriain 02-01-2011 11:44 PM

Thank you very much for your help. I'll check the devices you suggest. I`ll find similar devices here in Europe in order to get rid of that bad electricyty.

Thank you very much again:-)