Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Virtual Instruments (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Guitar VSt's: regarding brand, Kontakt, protools,etc (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=414288)

Bobalou 02-28-2021 04:01 PM

Guitar VSt's: regarding brand, Kontakt, protools,etc

I'm new to this side of things with Vsts and using protools. I'm interested in both acoustic and electric guitars that not only sounds the most realistic, but works in protools the easiest. my limited experience with kontakt player in protools hasn't gone well. the list below are some of the vsts that sound realistic to me (les pauls and acoustics) any thoughts on these and protools playability would be appreciated.. thank

Amplesound
Orange Tree
Music Lab
Native Instruments
Prominy

chrisdee 06-10-2021 02:29 AM

Re: Guitar VSt's: regarding brand, Kontakt, protools,etc

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobalou (Post 2594738)
I'm new to this side of things with Vsts and using protools. I'm interested in both acoustic and electric guitars that not only sounds the most realistic, but works in protools the easiest. my limited experience with kontakt player in protools hasn't gone well. the list below are some of the vsts that sound realistic to me (les pauls and acoustics) any thoughts on these and protools playability would be appreciated.. thank

Amplesound
Orange Tree
Music Lab
Native Instruments
Prominy

Personally for me Orange Tree are the ones that works best in pro tools on windows 10. The NI sounds good but can be very resource hungry when adding effects. Amplesounds have never worked well on my system.

Havent tried Prominy or Music Lab.

NI guitars sounds good but I find them limited in playability. You can't make your own strumming patterns and in melody mode there is a very limited set of articulations available. Also I don't understand why I can't turn off latch mode completely from the strumming engine? Why? This makes it pretty useless for me. I don't want strumming chords to keep on playing after I have released the keyboard.

I really like all the articulations I have available either by velocity or keyswitching in Orange Tree Samples. That makes in sound much more realistic. That said I don't find the dry samples to sound very good. Especially for the electric guitars I find the dry sounds poor.

JFreak 06-10-2021 02:32 AM

Hi, welcome to the community.

Native Instruments Picked Acoustic is great, but I will not say a word of their other guitar instruments. That is purely MIDI instrument. If however you wish to reamp a clean guitar tone, go for plugin-alliance.com and test their RockRack plugin and ENGL emulations.

musicman691 06-10-2021 03:38 AM

The AcousticSamples Sunbird is a great acoustic guitar library for UVI Falcon. It's a Gibson acoustic guitar and is my go-to when I need an acoustic guitar. There are times my place isn't quiet enough to record acoustically and I have to go the vi route. May also want to check out AcousticSamples electric guitar libs for Falcon.

Not all that enthused with any of the guitar libs for Kontakt. Other than the sound what kills vi guitars is the strumming engine. Get that wrong and it'll sound horrid. Also don't try and play a vi guitar like you would piano ;)

JFreak 06-10-2021 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2603977)
Also don't try and play a vi guitar like you would piano ;)

This. But if you have some understanding how to play acoustic guitar I am again recommending the NI picked acoustic. Fantastic. Very usable and realistic.

albee1952 06-10-2021 10:50 AM

Great advice above, so I'll just offer some guidance on terminology:
1-"VST" is a plugin format(like AAX or AU)
2-the plugins described above are "VI" plugins(Virtual Instrument)
3-Pro Tools cannot use VST plugins directly(but can use many with a "wrapper" or "host" plugin, such as Blue Cat's Patchwork(handy for when a plugin is not available in AAX format).
4-look for videos on all those plugins(maker's websites or youtube) to see how to get the most out of them(as said, how you "play" them will make a big difference).
5-Toontrack's EZBass is pretty killer if you need bass on your stuff(wonder if they have an EZGuitar plugin in the works:-))

musicman691 06-10-2021 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2603994)
5-Toontrack's EZBass is pretty killer if you need bass on your stuff(wonder if they have an EZGuitar plugin in the works:-))

They have EZ Keys so why not a guitar version? ;)