Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   NO "Video out Firewire" (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=213382)

STUDIO 44 01-08-2008 05:53 PM

NO \"Video out Firewire\"

Got MAC OS 10.4 running Pro-Tools HD. Under OPTIONS "Video out Firewire" is greyed out. Tested with firewire connection to 1) Canopus 2) Camera. Talked to 2 techs at Sweetwater. Everybody's stumped. "IMOVIE" sees the camera or/and the Canopus but, the Pro-Tools doesn't. Anybody got any clues?

Thanks

Craig F 01-08-2008 07:14 PM

Re: NO \"Video out Firewire\"

you do have a DV25 file to play out?

STUDIO 44 01-08-2008 07:21 PM

My understanding is...as long as you have a firewire device connected (Canopus or camera) the Option menu will let you activate 'VIDEO OUT FIREWIRE'. What's DV25?

Thanks...

STUDIO 44 01-08-2008 07:33 PM

OK...I went and looked up DV25...it's a compression method. In Pro-tools, QTs are converted to MJPEGA (which is the file I use) to playout from the edit screen.

Craig F 01-08-2008 08:24 PM

Firewire Out only works w/ the DV25 codec*

*there is a bug that sometimes lets non-dv streams play out Firewire if a dv stream of the same frame rate was in the session previously

the dude 01-08-2008 09:32 PM

Quote:

thats not entirely true

if you using a Mojo then that is the correct info

a canopus will out that as well
but the fact is that ANY DV formated .mov file will out a Canopus

DV stream is not the correct format either
it must be a .mov using a DV codec

STUDIO 44 01-09-2008 11:29 AM

Thanks to everybody who pitched in...I discovered that the MJPEGA format that I used to use is no longer valid for the HD System.

Thanks for the help.

minister 01-09-2008 12:43 PM

Quote:

I discovered that the MJPEGA format that I used to use is no longer valid for the HD System.

Has nothing to do with the HD and everything to do with what the Canopus can play....which is the DV codec only.

I am shocked that Sweetwater didn't know this........... (Did i say that out loud?)

compusic 01-11-2008 01:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

thats not entirely true

if you using a Mojo then that is the correct info

your words are not true.

I have asked related question in Avid forum.

the videos need not to be in dv-codec to be sent to MOJO. in fact, MOJO is not a DV decoder, what it receives through firewire is uncompressed video data which is first decoded by host cpu. I have confirmed this by importing videos coded in different codecs in Pro Tools, and send the video data to MOJO. btw, in Pro Tools manual, it's clearly said that h264 codec is officially approved to be sent to MOJO.

one more info, MOJO does have a dv codec on board, but that's not for decoding data it receive, it's for encoding what it receives into dv format video stream and output that to MOJO's another dv port.

the dude 01-11-2008 11:53 AM

your words are not true.

I have asked related question in Avid forum.

the videos need not to be in dv-codec to be sent to MOJO. in fact, MOJO is not a DV decoder, what it receives through firewire is uncompressed video data which is first decoded by host cpu. I have confirmed this by importing videos coded in different codecs in Pro Tools, and send the video data to MOJO. btw, in Pro Tools manual, it's clearly said that h264 codec is officially approved to be sent to MOJO.

one more info, MOJO does have a dv codec on board, but that's not for decoding data it receive, it's for encoding what it receives into dv format video stream and output that to MOJO's another dv port.

[/QUOTE]

hummmmmm

REALY WOW stop the presses

pasted from the Mojo Spec's

Avid Mojo and Mojo SDI currently support playback of the following video resolutions:
  • All Avid-created standard-definition ABVB, JFIF, DV25, DV50 and MXF files, including single-field, interlaced and progressive scan

I never said i listed all formats just responded to the question at hand