Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How to cue session during live performance (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=420776)

llamallover 06-30-2022 11:12 PM

How to cue session during live performance

Hi all.

I am wondering if there is a way to do the following:

1) play live a song on electric piano
2) cue a Pro Tools session to play backing tracks that begin mid-way through the song

Obviously I wouldn't be able to physically hit play in the middle of the song because both hands will be occupied on the piano.

Maybe there is a midi controller of some sort activated via a foot pedal system?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Darryl Ramm 07-01-2022 11:32 AM

Re: How to cue session during live performance

Anything that can send a MIDI CC (CC117 for play), many guitar MIDI pedalboards should be trivial to use to do that.

JCBigler 07-01-2022 01:18 PM

What you want to do is done much, much easier with a real playback software, such as QLab by Figure 53.

It will start and stop and fade tracks based on MIDI, timecode, or other trigger devices, such as computer keyboard, MIDI keyboard, contact closers, pedals, etc...

Plus, QLab is many orders of magnitude more stable than Protools in a live environment.

albee1952 07-01-2022 02:01 PM

Hmmm, I would use Ableton Live and trigger from one of their hardware controllers. Pro Tools is a bit too finicky for me to trust live:o

Ben Jenssen 07-01-2022 03:41 PM

If the electric piano has midi out, I imagine you could quite easily set up some software to be triggered by say, the top octave keys… but then you'd have to find a way to mute them. Hmm.

JCBigler 07-01-2022 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2640883)
Hmmm, I would use Ableton Live and trigger from one of their hardware controllers. Pro Tools is a bit too finicky for me to trust live:o

We use Abelton Live on our show. Have plenty of problems with it. Our two QLab computers are rock solid with no problems, ever.

Darryl Ramm 07-01-2022 09:57 PM

OK now I just also want to say I'd not use Pro Tools live :-O

Too many other choices that are simpler and maybe more reliable.

Does this need to be a "session" what about a stereo (or mono?) backing recording?

tonwurm 07-02-2022 03:25 AM

Apple Mainstage... works perfectly

albee1952 07-02-2022 09:11 AM

FWIW, there is a company in Nashville that builds backing track systems for major touring acts and all of them run digital Performer:o