Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Wide monitor on its side (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=321992)

princeplanet 05-01-2012 09:43 AM

Wide monitor on its side

By rotating the screen I can get all my horizontal tracks in a very tall stack. Problem is that I'm unable to select anything in the bottom half of the screen.

Is there a fix for this? Has anyone managed to do this?

getz76 05-01-2012 10:28 AM

Re: Wide monitor on it's side.....

Say what?

capt kirk 05-01-2012 12:29 PM

Re: Wide monitor on its side

i'm curious about this as well...would like to know if others are doing it, as it works better for some edits...

rjmurry 05-01-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getz76 (Post 1927054)
Say what?

Word.

panamajack 05-01-2012 02:01 PM

Most monitors have stands that limit their use to rotating and tilting. A few also permit you to pivot, that is, change the default view from a horizontal, landscape view (i.e., 1920 x 1200), to a vertical, portrait view (i.e., 1200 x 1920). For word processing, portrait monitors have been used for more than twenty years.

I have an HP w2408h that pivots in the manner you suggest. It goes without saying that you will need a graphics adapter that allows you to change the orientation to match the physical position of the monitor.

There are not too many 1920 x 1200 monitors that pivot, in addition to rotating and tilting. The ones I have found are in the $350 to $450 range for a 24" diagonal screen. Two portrait monitors, side-by-side, will give you 2400 x 1920 of screen real estate for under $700.

princeplanet 05-03-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getz76 (Post 1927054)
Say what?

what don't you understand?

albee1952 05-03-2012 02:16 PM

Some graphics card software includes a utility that allows the picture to rotate 90 degrees and you can mount any widescreen vertically on a VESA mount. Something I thought about a few years back but never implemented. Could be cool if you don't need to see over it. I find the wide view more important for editing, over showing a boatload of tracks.:rolleyes:

princeplanet 05-07-2012 01:17 AM

Yes, my graphics card allows this, but it wont show any selection made from about 3/4 of the way down, to the bottom. Very annoying. Any ideas to fix this?

panamajack 05-07-2012 05:08 AM

What make and model of screen do you have? What is its maximum resolution and refresh rate?

What make and model of graphics adapter do you have? What modes are available?

What version of OSX are you using? What revision of graphics driver are you using?

All my monitors require adjusting during initial setup. There are settings for both horizontal position and size...as well as vertical position and size (also fine settings like pincushion, trapezoid, color tone, etc.).

Nvidia cards have a memory resident program (at least they do on Win7 machines...) called Nview that permits optimizing the screen to the card. Does your card include a similar configuration utility?

princeplanet 05-07-2012 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panamajack (Post 1928761)
What make and model of screen do you have? What is its maximum resolution and refresh rate?

What make and model of graphics adapter do you have? What modes are available?

What version of OSX are you using? What revision of graphics driver are you using?

All my monitors require adjusting during initial setup. There are settings for both horizontal position and size...as well as vertical position and size (also fine settings like pincushion, trapezoid, color tone, etc.).

Nvidia cards have a memory resident program (at least they do on Win7 machines...) called Nview that permits optimizing the screen to the card. Does your card include a similar configuration utility?

Hmm, not in front of it, and usually my engineers job to be on top of all this, but it's a new LG wide monitor, I did load the software and the card in the NVidia, but a few years old.... like I say, everything shows up just fine, just that when I make a selection, it doesnt get highlight in the bottom thrd of the screen, even though every thing else looks fine Infact, the selection is actually "active", ie, it will get effected by an edit instruction, it's just that you can see tracks being selected (the grey color...). Just wanna know if it can be done....