Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S4/S6 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Using other ethernet port for internet (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=367088)

Stereo Missile 04-19-2015 03:20 AM

Using other ethernet port for internet

Hi guys,

Since installing my S6 I've unplugged my studio computer from the internet. I had it plugged in to my internet router using the other ethernet port on my Mac Pro, but I found that having the S6 plugged in to one port and internet on the other tended to make the S6 performance a bit unstable. Just wondering if others have had the same experience, or if any of you have this working well? I haven't tried it since the earlier versions of the S6 software or WSControl apps, so I wonder if it is working better now?

Thanks!

rcutz 04-19-2015 05:23 AM

Re: Using other ethernet port for internet

I never testes mine that way.
I allways use both port, also because i work with a server so I need the other port to mount my disc's etc... I can't tell you but I never fell
Like the ethernet traffic would be a problem. i'm on mac os 10.8.5; pt 11.3.1; mac pro 3,1 (migrating to 6,1)

tamasdragon 04-19-2015 05:44 AM

I don't know what would happen if I use the second port for internet access, but we use one port for internal studio network (like Isis) and the other port for the S6 and it's all fine, rock solid. Never had an issue with it.

Stereo Missile 04-19-2015 07:05 AM

Hmmm, ok thanks guys. Maybe it's time for me to revisit this and try it again. Are you setting fixed IP addresses? I didn't try that yet, just left it on dynamic. Maybe that's the issue.

Brandonx1 04-19-2015 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stereo Missile (Post 2255217)
Hmmm, ok thanks guys. Maybe it's time for me to revisit this and try it again. Are you setting fixed IP addresses? I didn't try that yet, just left it on dynamic. Maybe that's the issue.

I use one port for the studio network/Internet and the other port for s6. Seems fine.

lucienpalmer 04-19-2015 08:44 AM

With Eucon and the Artist series, I had to use port one for Eucon and port two for internet. That solved quite a few weird connection issues. It was a known trick for the Artist series. When I got my S6, I did the same thing. No problems here at here.

EddieJones 04-19-2015 06:47 PM

You should be fine using either port for internet with current v1.4.1 software if you are using the internal S6 DHCP Server.
We discovered a rather obvious issue with all EUCON surface setups that used 2 ports on the Workstations a few months back. With Artist it wasn't so much of a problem because most people have the surface on the same network as the internet but with pro consoles where the surface should always be on a separate network it caused lots of issues.
The issue is having a DHCP Server or Router on each network gave the Workstation 2 Default Routes to get to the Internet/WAN/Intranet etc. So the Workstation didn't know which was the right one to use. The solution for S6 was to disable the Default Route in the S6's DHCP Server leaving the real Internet network to supply the correct Default Route to the Workstation. On S5 Hybrid we were able to set static addresses on the Workstations leaving the Default Route blank.

Hope this helps...

Stereo Missile 04-19-2015 11:19 PM

Thanks Eddie!

I've plugged it in today with S6 on Ethernet port 1 and Internet Router on port 2 and it seems to be all good so far, so I guess the 1.4.1 update fixed the previous issues. Will let you know if I run into any more problems with it.

:)

ShadeTek 05-20-2015 08:30 AM

I would have only one gateway assisgned on your of your NICs or this will confuse your computer. This would mean the manual setting of each NIC with only one NIC with a gateway address for internet access. The other gateway addresses would be left blank.

EddieJones 05-20-2015 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadeTek (Post 2262755)
I would have only one gateway assisgned on your of your NICs or this will confuse your computer. This would mean the manual setting of each NIC with only one NIC with a gateway address for internet access. The other gateway addresses would be left blank.

The S6 DHCP does not hand out a Default Route so this is unnecessary if using it.