Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   help recover data b4 client calls? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=15823)

Dumfuc 03-04-2000 09:51 PM

help recover data b4 client calls?

accidentally began a volume recover with Norton before backing up last session.. aborted the volume recover before it was finished, but not before the needed directory was destroyed/corrupted. Old files do not appear on the drive, but if I do a text based search for the missing sd2 files using Norton unerase, it does find files that are recognized as 1meg text files. It appears the missing files I are still on there, hidden. Any suggestions as to how or if I can still access them? (Norton extensions were disabled when this session was recorded, so there's no volume info available for that date. I tried disk Warrior with no luck.) Can I find them with resedit?

Steve Rosenthal 03-05-2000 11:29 AM

Re: help recover data b4 client calls?

Obligatory disclaimer: I can't guarantee success with this method, so use it at your own risk.

You can use UnErase to recover the files. Then, with either UnErase or ResEdit, you'll have to set the Creator and Type fields to the proper designations for an SDII file. I don't recall them off the top of my head, but you can get that info from a good SDII file using ResEdit.

I believe this information appears in UnErase in a "get info" style window for each file.

If you go this route, it'll probably be more convenient to use UnErase to set the Creator and Type, since you can do it to each file as you go.

Good luck.

--Steve Rosenthal, Digidesign ETS

stupetech 03-05-2000 05:34 PM

Nice User name, but seriously, goodluc Dumfuc!!!!!!

Danny Caccavo 03-05-2000 05:37 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dumfuc:
accidentally began a volume recover with Norton before backing up last session.. aborted the volume recover before it was finished, but not before the needed directory was destroyed/corrupted. Old files do not appear on the drive, but if I do a text based search for the missing sd2 files using Norton unerase, it does find files that are recognized as 1meg text files. It appears the missing files I are still on there, hidden. Any suggestions as to how or if I can still access them? (Norton extensions were disabled when this session was recorded, so there's no volume info available for that date. I tried disk Warrior with no luck.) Can I find them with resedit?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can try two things - use the recover on "Tech tool pro" - I have found that this works when Norton doesn't (norton wouldn't do a volume recover without Filesaver data). If that doesn't work, try a program called DiskWarrior by Alsoft. It will completely reconstruct a directory for you.

dc

Dumfuc 03-05-2000 07:23 PM

Thanks for your replies guys... hope the user name didn't offend anyone... just a little self-deprecating humor. I'll let you know how things turn out...