Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Neve Capricorn brought back to life. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=420635)

scenaria 06-18-2022 04:10 PM

Neve Capricorn brought back to life.

1 Attachment(s)
While I know it’s *ancient* I love the work flow on the Capricorn.

Yea it’s only 44.1/48 but in all honesty it has some serious balls.

Took some love, cussing and elbow grease but finally got her going. Just need to work on a handful of sticky faders.

Running an RME HdSPE FX card through MADI. Gives me 144 Channels in and out .

Just thought I’d share

Darryl Ramm 06-18-2022 05:37 PM

Re: Neve Capricorn brought back to life.

Lovely. How involved was getting it going?

scenaria 06-18-2022 06:25 PM

Definitely want to be a techie geek 😂 not much service info out there., a lot of trial and error but certainly not impossible. I had to recap a bunch of SMD electrolytics, definitely requires the right tools and developing good technique. It is proprietary, some of which can be very difficult to find.

On the positive side, it’s a fun workflow, sounds fantastic. EQ and dynamics are pretty killer on this board.

The down side, power hungry, requires regular maintenance and tweaking.

I dumped a d-control in favor of the cap. I wanted a true mixer. 64 preamps, 96 inserts, 128 aes/ebu, 144 MADI plus 96 analog in snd 96 analog out.

Darryl Ramm 06-18-2022 09:04 PM

Thanks. I collect vintage/classic HP computers and calculators and electrolytic caps are a PITA. I'm paranoid about how I bring up the old power supplies, testing them etc. before letting them loose on the vintage electronics. My Keysight LCR meter is money well spent for checking caps. I love to see good stuff being restored/maintained/used.

scenaria 06-18-2022 09:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Speaking of power supplies. I need to open these up and recap them. Noticing a high pitch and takes a few seconds to come up to working voltage. Pretty hefty at 5 volts 200 amps! And yea I love repurposing old equipment and getting new life out of it. I’m trying to find a studer D827 or Sony PCM3348 DASH machines a few years ago they were selling for a few hundred bucks.

smurfyou 06-20-2022 09:07 AM

That is awesome! Great consoles.

Good on you!

scenaria 07-24-2022 04:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally got it moved into the control room. I had to disassemble all the buckets off rails as it had to go up a flight of stairs and weighs 400 pounds.

Was nervous about firing her up after possibly waking sleeping gremlins. But all looks pretty good. Now I need to run a bunch of MADI cable…

Darryl Ramm 07-24-2022 08:51 PM

Oh be still my beating heart... :-)

scenaria 07-25-2022 02:20 PM

I’m rebuilding a second one.. if anyone is interested 😝

smurfyou 07-25-2022 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scenaria (Post 2642798)
I’m rebuilding a second one.. if anyone is interested 😝

[starts measuring space in the living room]

Do we really need two sofas? :D