Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | Intro Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   No audio after launching PT First (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=371341)

mauiboy33 08-30-2015 07:48 PM

No audio after launching PT First

This is my first use of Avid PT First and my first posting! Forgive me if my question is dumb or has already been answered.
When I restart my PC, audio works fine. Can watch Youtube vids, etc.
Once PT First is launched, no audio. Can't hear youtube vids or any playback from PT First. Video is fine.
Tried launching PTF while holding the "n" key...got the "Playback engine" dialogue box. Checked that it was using the correct audio file (I'd previously found the correct one via Control Panel, was the "Realtek High Definition Audio"), but no sound! Also happens when I try to link to any of the Avid tutorials via their email.
Something seems to get changed when I do anything with the Avid stuff...either from PTF or via their email links. Hoping this is a simple fix!
Thanks in advance!!!

DigiTechSupt 08-31-2015 08:43 AM

Re: No audio after launching PT First

Hi mauiboy33,
Try downloading and installing the ASIO4ALL driver. you can download it at www.asio4all.com
Hope this helps,

Best regards,
Tope

Amack 08-31-2015 09:51 AM

PT needs a dedicated audio "Playback Engine" (it can't share one with Windows). If you don't have an external audio interface, you have to use your computer's audio "Playback device"(s). If you download and install ASIO4ALL, PT can use either your computer's HD audio device or one provided by it's HD video card (if you have the it connected to a A/V Receiver or TV with HDMI input). The device not being used by PT is then available for use by Windows. See http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=370951 for details. :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mauiboy33 (Post 2288563)
This is my first use of Avid PT First and my first posting! Forgive me if my question is dumb or has already been answered.
When I restart my PC, audio works fine. Can watch Youtube vids, etc.
Once PT First is launched, no audio. Can't hear youtube vids or any playback from PT First. Video is fine.
Tried launching PTF while holding the "n" key...got the "Playback engine" dialogue box. Checked that it was using the correct audio file (I'd previously found the correct one via Control Panel, was the "Realtek High Definition Audio"), but no sound! Also happens when I try to link to any of the Avid tutorials via their email.
Something seems to get changed when I do anything with the Avid stuff...either from PTF or via their email links. Hoping this is a simple fix!
Thanks in advance!!!

mesaone 08-31-2015 09:58 AM

For anyone reading the thread that has the same question but a different configuration, ASIO4ALL should work with all manner of internal soundcards - it's not limited to Realtek HD cards.

Darryl Ramm 08-31-2015 10:12 AM

and even more... The ideal thing is your sound card/chipset vendor already has an ASIO driver for your audio interface, if so try to use that... Many low-cost consumer cards/chipsets will not have ASIO drivers available, So then you need to install the ASIO4ALL software. ASIO4ALL wraps the standard Windows WDM audio drivers and makes them look like the ASIO driver that Pro Tools products need.

It is preferable to have native ASIO support in any audio interface.

Amack 08-31-2015 10:29 AM

Do you know of any?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2288700)
and even more... The ideal thing is your sound card/chipset vendor already has an ASIO driver for your audio interface, if so try to use that... Many low-cost consumer cards/chipsets will not have ASIO drivers available, So then you need to install the ASIO4ALL software. ASIO4ALL wraps the standard Windows WDM audio drivers and makes them look like the ASIO driver that Pro Tools products need.

It is preferable to have native ASIO support in any audio interface.

mesaone 08-31-2015 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amack (Post 2288707)
Do you know of any?

Many internal or external "pro-sumer" sound cards by many manufacturers (PreSonus, M-Audio, RME, Focusrite, Tascam, MOTU, Lexicon, Mackie, Digigram, etc.)

As for internal sound cards that ship with computers, you'll find many "Gaming" or "HTPC" internal sound cards have manufacturer-supplied ASIO drivers (Asus Xonar, Creative SoundBlaster, and some others).

Darryl Ramm 08-31-2015 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amack (Post 2288707)
Do you know of any?

I know of many, and so does Google search.