Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Preamps and Mics (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60967)

closeriget 11-18-2001 07:10 PM

Preamps and Mics

I'm looking to spend about $500 on a decent preamp or preamp/compressor.

And about $500-600 on a mic.

A buddy told me he got a Dan Alexander Pro Audio rig equipped with a Neve ???? I don't remember the model number for about $500 used. And it sounds GREAT. I wish I could remember the model number.

Anyhow, I'm edging towards the Joe Meek VC1/Q, Focusrite TrakMaster and the DBX Silver Series576. (www.ProRec.com did a review on it and the song he tracked with it sounds great. The 576 that is.)

I'm not sure which one would better suit my needs which are to record acoustic guitar and vocals. I've got a Digi001 and the Focusrite D2 and D3 plugins (which, uhm, for some reason aren't RTAS, they only allow for editing of the whole audio file and they don't let me work with the controls while listening to the whole mix. I can't add them as an insert that is like with my WAVES plug-ins.)

Microphone wise I'm leaning towards the R0de NTV tube microphone and the Neumann TLM-103. The Rode-NT2 I have now going straight into the 001 doesn't sound good to me. I have a voice that is variant when it comes to the loudness and it hits peaks at times that almost distort the 001. And it just sounds blands. It's got no pop and these WAVES plugins are so incredibly tough to use. The presets are all I'm stuck with.

The acoustic guitar was line in'd and it sounds great.

Ugh, can someone give tips? Recommendations? Also, I recordedin both OMNI and CARDIOD mode on the NT-2. It hums in CARDIOD mode for some reason.

Thanks.

Allen Hallada 11-18-2001 08:13 PM

Re: Preamps and Mics

I may be able to help you out on that NTV. Email me if you are interested. Joe Meek VC1/Q is supposed to sound great with the Rode mics and digi001. I've seen it posted many times. Proven performer. Good luck.
Allen

rdpete 11-18-2001 08:46 PM

For mics, the ones that come to mind are the AT 4050, AKG 414, or the TLM103. Shure
has a couple models in that range too.

Along with the DBX, check the HHB line, like the Radius 40.
www.dawbox.com

APAULOS 11-19-2001 11:01 AM

Screw it...You only live once, so break out those credit cards and get a manley voicebox and matching gold tube mic. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Just playin'
I said it before and I'll say it again you HAVE TO match you're voice with the right mic for you...That's like some rock guitarists telling me "Man NOTHING beats a tube amp" Well I play cutting edge jazz, and tube amps suck for my tone, so I use a centuar(like a polytone but even cleaner...imagine that)So go to guitar center and have a taste test. Better yet, use thier 30 day return policy and live with the mic for a couple of weeks, then you'll KNOW.

JMS40 11-19-2001 11:24 AM

Absolutely right APAULOS.
For instance, I am a baritone and like to sing through an AT4050. I makes my voice cut. I don't really care for the mic on much else.
Having said that, the Neumann 103 is a great value and jack of all trades. I enjoy the NT's, also.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by APAULOS:
Screw it...You only live once, so break out those credit cards and get a manly voicebox and matching gold tube mic. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Just playin'
I said it before and I'll say it again you HAVE TO match you're voice with the right mic for you...That's like some rock guitarists telling me "Man NOTHING beats a tube amp" Well I play cutting edge jazz, and tube amps suck for my tone, so I use a centuar(like a polytone but even cleaner...imagine that)So go to guitar center and have a taste test. Better yet, use thier 30 day return policy and live with the mic for a couple of weeks, then you'll KNOW.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

mjames08 11-19-2001 02:08 PM

I intern at a studio here in the bay area, and I lent the owner my pair of TLM103's and he was blown away by them.. I would seriously check them out. They are definately neumanns, that's for sure. BTW, he usually uses one of the Manley Gold mics ($5k +), so it gives you an idea of the quality he is used to..

MikeD 11-19-2001 02:31 PM

I used to use the Rode NT-2 and found it worked well for people with deep or warm sounding voices but didn't work at all for thin nasally sounding voices. I ended up buying a Shure KSM-44 and have used it on everything since and have been very pleased. Pretty reasonably priced along with multiple mic patterns and pads.

I like it! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

closeriget 11-19-2001 02:33 PM

what should i use for my voice? the omni or cardiod pattern?

i use the 80hz roll-off filter.

hmm, maybe i should take the mix i have now and make an mp3 for you guys to take a listen to. the vocal just doesn't shine through for some reason.

want me to?

-j

APAULOS 11-19-2001 05:19 PM

Use the card. Omni will pick up the whole room! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] You should invest in a mixing book, PK has suggested some good ones recently. I've also heard that the PT home studio book is good. I would spend $30 on that before spending $1000 on a mic and pre. Unless you really understand what you need you might wind up with the wrong thing...especially since you can not try it out first.

JMS40 11-19-2001 05:55 PM

I can sympthize. Good thing, all of the online biggies will allow you to return well cared for equipment. Don't be shy about trying several before you decide. At $750, the TLM103 is over your budget. It would be my first choice if I were starting from scratch looking for a workhorse. In your range, I would give the NT2 a shot. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by closeriget:
I live 3 hours away from any Guitar Center / Mars Music.

:-)

So I can't exactly go and check em out.

I have a "nasal" voice since I'm part Western.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>