Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 9 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Using Elastic Audio match to tempo without affecting the audio (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=303141)

Silvio 06-21-2011 05:15 PM

Using Elastic Audio match to tempo without affecting the audio

Hi there,

As a composer / producer, I like using Elastic Audio to be free to change the main tempo of a song when I want and having everything still grided.

And for the Rythmic section (drums), I work a lot with one shot audio samples (like one shot kick, one shot snare) imported in my session and that I copy paste on the grid to build my beats.

But if I understand well, if I start a song at for example tempo 120, and build all my beats, and then choose to downtempo it to 100 (for example), all my audio will then stay grided (thanx to Elastic Audio) but, it will also be "timestretched" with the TCE function used by Elastic Audio. That makes senses with all audio like synths, guitars, voices, etc because they need to be stretched to continue matching the tempo, but for very short audio (one shot drum samples in fact), I would like to keep them grided, but without any TCE, because they don't need to be stretched to stay in place, they only to stay being grided.

And If I disable Elastic Audio on my drum tracks and then change the tempo, I will have to rebuild on the grid again every part of my beat to conform to the new tempo. ;)

Does someone knows any way to keep the "match on the grid after tempo change" Elastic Audio function for a track without time stretching the audio on it?

Thanks for those who will help, will be very helpful and appreciated! :-)

Silvio

filosofem 06-21-2011 05:26 PM

Re: Using Elastic Audio match to tempo without affecting the audio

Build your one shot sample multi track drum patterns on Tick-based Audio tracks without Elastic Audio enabled. Any tempo changes made, tick-based track types whether EA enabled or not will follow.

Silvio 06-21-2011 06:36 PM

As simple as that! I've never thought of it. I used to set "Tick based tracks" only when enabling EA.

Thank u man, you really saved me a LOT of time :-) I'm very grateful!

albee1952 06-21-2011 07:36 PM

Great option above. Another is to use midi to fire your samples(maybe within Structure). Midi will follow the Elastic tempo changes without changing the audio at all.

Silvio 06-21-2011 07:46 PM

Yes Nice option too! I'm always telling myself I should take some Time to sample my fav drum samples into structure... It's one more good Reason to do so

Thx :)

filosofem 06-21-2011 09:41 PM

With single shot samples you would gain nothing however multi-layered samples with velocity and round-robin articulations would be worth your time, IMNSHO.