Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Eleven Rack Standalone Editor (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=349624)

Mr_Clean 01-17-2014 01:02 AM

Re: Eleven Rack Standalone Editor

Well this all a bit of a surprise. Frankly I thought Avid had all but given up on this product........Now perhaps they get around to addressing the basic problems / omissions with the product ?? Such as poor core audio implementation and the crazy fx loop - need to be able select pre or pst send return bypass so external delays / verbs can ring out ...........

acmost 01-17-2014 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deansy (Post 2122242)
The biggest irony though is the Eleven Rack is probably one of the easiest devices to edit from it's own front panel and all of those who complain about not having an editor, could very well edit faster without a software editor,

Hey I hear ya & I'm not arguing anything about having to have PT vs. the rest of the recording software world and it's implementation of the 11R...I am saying this though, it's easier...way, to edit 11R with the PT software editor - hands down.

YMMV naturally.

musicman691 01-17-2014 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffro (Post 2122165)
Plug-in compatibility was the bigger reason for bundling PT10+11, but the decision was made before PT11 shipped that the ER would be pulled from PT so it was never an issue of integration problems within PT because that was not pursued.

As I mentioned earlier I just wish Avid had told us this all along. It would have been in the same vein as telling us we can no longer use RTAS plugins in PT11. Would have saved a lot of time and posts from people asking when we were going to get a control window for the 11R in PT11 seeing as how there's an item in the View menu to show the 11R control gui.

musicman691 01-17-2014 04:27 AM

Quote:

Many guitar players can't relate to the complexity of not having a simple editor due the requirement that it must interface with pro tools! Almost every digital guitar processor out there comes with a stand alone editor!! It's not difficult at all to all to a hardware company to provide a stand alone editor and it shouldn't be that complex. If Avid really cared about that segment of the Market (who just want a good Modeler and the Eleven Rack is), it would take them a few days to split the editor in the previous 32 bit editor in the prior versions of pro tools and provide support for both systems, but again, the focus is to sell Pro Tools . With an approach like this, IMHO, they will never be a viable guitar company.

The biggest irony though is the Eleven Rack is probably one of the easiest devices to edit from it's own front panel and all of those who complain about not having an editor, could very well edit faster without a software editor, but why should they not have the choice to play guitar and use a software editor, other than Pro Tools, at the same time ! Well I hope that this new editor won't be viewed as too late and hopefully it will revive sales; maybe Avid would further develop the product, who knows! I personally love the Eleven Rack. I think it's one of the best well designed and thought out products out there. I use it with Cubase, the only thing I don't have and don't need is the embedding but other than that, it works flawlessly. Hardly any potential customer knows that you can use the Eleven Rack with software other than pro tools. Hopefully this new 64 bit only;) editor will be somehow change that perception.

First off you're mistaken about the 11 Rack being faster or easier to edit from the front panel versus a software editor. Quite frankly it's a pain in the arse to edit from the front panel and real easy to lose focus of where one is and what one is editing and where in the chain is whatever you're editing.

And as far as you're saying it's easy for a hardware company to provide a software editor for a piece of their hardware you may not realize that most hardware companies do not do their own software but hire outside developers to do it. Line 6 doesn't do their own software for one. Moog doesn't either. And very often the two businesses don't communicate very clearly to each other as to what's needed and that's why you have problems with the s/w and h/w working together.

Darryl Ramm 01-17-2014 09:09 AM

Ah I might disagree there. The front panel editor is very easy to use. It is a very well executed GUI, especially given screen space and knob constraints, and much better than similar products I've looked at. There is an incredible amount of control available there.

It is simple just to reach for and change things. Having to mess around with cabling, a laptop, etc. just to change settings seems like a wasted effort to me. The main benefit I see of the computer GUI is saving rigs and managing a library of rig settings. Finding that rig you made and stuck somewhere in the user rigs can be a PITA on the front panel. And a minor issue with the front panel I do see is you need to get the Eleven Rack near eye level, or angled (like I have mine) to see the display clearly.

But having the stand along GUI is a fantastic thing, thanks Avid folks.

guitardom 01-17-2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

The biggest irony though is the Eleven Rack is probably one of the easiest devices to edit from it's own front panel and all of those who complain about not having an editor, could very well edit faster without a software editor, but why should they not have the choice to play guitar and use a software editor, other than Pro Tools, at the same time

I am the same way with the front panel. I can get around it typically faster than what it would take me to launch the software view and get where I need. Maybe it comes from years of digging through archaic boss and digitech control screens that makes the Eleven rack front panel seem so simplistic to navigate.

kelco83 01-17-2014 09:54 AM

The GUI is awesome, the on device menu is nice but not under any sort of pressure.

CME 01-17-2014 10:04 AM

I bought an eleven rack and hardly ever use the pro tools editor. I wanted the unit itself and the second pro tools license was just icing on the cake. While I'm excited to see a stand alone editor, that really is a huge deal, I was fine without it.

But yes I can trace my digital amp roots back to a Johnson JM-250 rig. No editor anywhere or even imagined. And it and the eleven rack are somewhat similar in it's "hands on" interface. So maybe that's a big part.

But really for those that have no interest in pro tools to have an editor/librarian and not be tied to pro tools is pretty awesome. At least IMO. Another player I know has an 11r and has never used pro tools. Doesn't want to. He'll he interested in the stand alone editor though.

guitardom 01-17-2014 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelco83 (Post 2122406)
The GUI is awesome, the on device menu is nice but not under any sort of pressure.

I am going to guess you never had to tweak a Digitech RP 10 or 12 in the middle of a live show!!! :D

Benoni 01-17-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitardom (Post 2122405)
I am the same way with the front panel. I can get around it typically faster than what it would take me to launch the software view and get where I need. Maybe it comes from years of digging through archaic boss and digitech control screens that makes the Eleven rack front panel seem so simplistic to navigate.

I'm much faster with the Editor than the front panel since I can double click many parameter windows and input exact values.

Plus my 11R is just out of reach so I have to lean way over to get to it.

The front panel is plenty fast, but I like the exactness of the Editor and being able to type in exact values.