Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Big Sur Update - Graphics lag and can't reorder tracks (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=415254)

aaronphshort 05-05-2021 11:15 AM

Big Sur Update - Graphics lag and can't reorder tracks

After seeing PT 2021 was fully compatible, I went ahead with upgrading to Big Sur on my Intel Mac.

I am now experiencing two major problems when running sessions in PT:

1. Intense graphics lag & response time - as if my entire computer was running at 3 frames per second. VU meters are choppy, scrolling up and down the session is slow, as well as clicking through menu's. CPU meters don't appear to be maxing out, but that is how it feels.

2. I can no longer re-order any of the tracks in my session by way of drag and drop. I can move clips around fine, but tracks won't move in either Edit or Mix view.

I did a full manual re-install of PT (followed these instructions ), I removed all third party plug-ins from plug-ins folder, and only thing left I can think of now is clean install of macOS, rather than upgrade.

Anyone else out there experienced any of these issues before?

--
MacBook Pro 2016 15" 2.7Ghz i7
ProTools 2021.3
UA Apollo X Twin

samtrino 05-05-2021 12:06 PM

Re: Big Sur Update - Graphics lag and can't reorder tracks

I don’t think it’s Pro Tools related, but Big Sur is a major upgrade so it could be doing some under the hood work that needs time to stabilize..

I would leave it idle overnight and reboot the next morning see if it solves the issue. Worth trying before clean re-install…

aaronphshort 05-05-2021 12:50 PM

Thanks @Samtrino - unfortunately been this way a few days now and system is otherwise totally idle. Also the fact I can't drag and drop anything hints towards something a little more buggy going on. :confused:

samtrino 05-05-2021 12:52 PM

That is weird... does it also affect other apps or only PT?

EDIT: actually it seems similar performance issues are affecting few people - here's a thread at apple with few hundred posts already:

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/666661

aaronphshort 05-05-2021 01:14 PM

Interesting! Could definitely be some link there, however for me issues don't exist anywhere outside of Pro Tools.

My other DAW's, games, CPU heavy apps all running totally smooth. Everything except the one app I really need to rely on haha.

Obsidian Dragon 05-05-2021 08:41 PM

I read on another thread that increasing the buffer size seems to help the graphics lag problem. Perhaps give that a try. I realize that higher buffer sizes may make tracking difficult for some situations. I usually only use lower buffer setting for tracking and use higher buffer setting when mixing.

Becharax 05-06-2021 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaronphshort (Post 2601379)
After seeing PT 2021 was fully compatible, I went ahead with upgrading to Big Sur on my Intel Mac.

I am now experiencing two major problems when running sessions in PT:

1. Intense graphics lag & response time - as if my entire computer was running at 3 frames per second. VU meters are choppy, scrolling up and down the session is slow, as well as clicking through menu's. CPU meters don't appear to be maxing out, but that is how it feels.

2. I can no longer re-order any of the tracks in my session by way of drag and drop. I can move clips around fine, but tracks won't move in either Edit or Mix view.

I did a full manual re-install of PT (followed these instructions ), I removed all third party plug-ins from plug-ins folder, and only thing left I can think of now is clean install of macOS, rather than upgrade.

Anyone else out there experienced any of these issues before?

--
MacBook Pro 2016 15" 2.7Ghz i7
ProTools 2021.3
UA Apollo X Twin

Quite a nightmare here ... Running Big Sur Latest Update 11.3 and Pro Tools 2021.3.1 on an iMac Pro
Those graphical glitches and lags did not resolve ever since Big Sur 11.2.3 and Pro Tools 2021.3

I tried all work arounds and yet nothing changed ....

Try to open the piano roll for example and select the notes you got ... you would realize that the brightness of the notes is flickering ...

I think Avid has to issue a statement or anything in regards to this ...

Becharax 05-08-2021 07:24 AM

Big Sur 11.3.1 and Pro Tools 2021.3.1

Graphic Issues Solved

Becharax 05-08-2021 09:02 AM

I cried Victory too early !! Glitches are still here ...

DerrickC 05-12-2021 12:33 PM

Any update on this issue? I am considering if I should update to Big Sur 11.3.1 and PT 2021.3.1.

Thx!