Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   headphones and computer speakers (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=422356)

DigitalDragon 11-06-2022 06:00 PM

headphones and computer speakers

hello, i have pro tools 12 and when i plug in my headphones nothing happens, no sound from headphones but sound with my computer speakers while headphones in jack. on occasional times the headphones will go on and sound. and no computer speakers sound while playing pro tools, the headphones work perfectly fine on windows media players.
please help if you can because its not right then i get aae code to. thanks

DigitalDragon 11-06-2022 06:01 PM

Re: headphones and computer speakers

sometimes static coming from computer.

nednednerb 11-06-2022 10:00 PM

Using audio device on windows is a bit tricky. If you don't have an interface it will perform poorly.
Check out Help Us Help You link at top of forum.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

DigitalDragon 11-07-2022 03:04 PM

is it really audio interface because i used for 2 months no problem i could disconnect headphones and sound from computer speakers good back in forth but now only computer speakers work. please help if anyone knows what to test first. thanks

nednednerb 11-07-2022 10:17 PM

Sometimes Headphone output is different from Speaker output.

Sometimes, apps can switch. Sometimes they cannot.

Sometimes an app connects the two and allows easy switching. Something might have changed, and it isn't on that "setting" any more.

How are you using the app? How are you switching? I would totally expect crash or something if I starting unplugging wires mid session... Do you know that you should set it up, stick with a session, and not expect simple fast "plug and play" with a bunch of devices at same time? At any rate, I would suggest slowing down and knowing which audio device Pro Tools is currently set on, and be mindful if other devices/apps are trying to be active.

I mean by "audio interface" NOT the headphone jack.

albee1952 11-08-2022 09:24 AM

Generally speaking, things will work much better if you use a real(separate) audio interface instead of the on-board sound card(this being true for any DAW, not just Pro Tools). Also, with all Windows setups, go into Sound Properties and make sure Windows is using the on-board sound card as its default playback device. This allows Pro Tools to have complete control of the interface for recording.

DigitalDragon 11-08-2022 08:33 PM

yes i looked on computer sound setting its fine. i. looked on i/o its set to the normal settings i even hit default to make sure, im just running it normal. no sound from headphones. i just wonder if i get audio interface will it do same thing. but besides for now i cant fix. while in computer the speakers work for computer and headphones. i dont know what to do next.

nednednerb 11-09-2022 10:12 AM

You're not supposed to get audio for computer out of the speakers AND audio out of Pro Tools.

It's unsupported. You basically have to use an interface, or you WILL encounter such issues. You can try turning computer Windows to "no audio device" and then try running Pro Tools.

If you want random plug and play and YouTube and PT recording, for example, not going to happen.

DigitalDragon 11-09-2022 12:04 PM

im using asio driver, realtek.

albee1952 11-10-2022 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalDragon (Post 2652931)
im using asio driver, realtek.

And that is the problem. You must do 1 of 2 things:
1-disable windows sound
2-get a separate interface for Pro Tools.
The Focusrite Scarlett solo can be found used for around $60-70(I just sold one).