Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

Gene Backlin 08-01-2004 10:28 PM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Hey Roy,

I just had to post this little bit. Here's the story. My aunt asked me to convert all of their old 8mm film to DVD. I asked them what would they like for sound in the background, the clicking of the projector was not an option .

Well, they have an old player piano, and a whole mess of music rolls for it. Saturday I went over and recorded about an hours worth of this stuff. I hope you enjoy, I am !

http://www.s94545301.onlinehome.us/m...arge_01_03.mp3

Take Care,
Gene

Captain_Pants 08-02-2004 07:10 AM

Hey Roy, sorry for the delayed response(no internet in my new place yet). You know the synths tend very much to have a different role in each song. In the past, I was quite lazy, and would just take the onboard sounds from my racks, and record them straight into PT. Then I started layering guitars on them.
Recently ive gotten the nerve to control sound parameters from PT, which, as you know requires you to open those darned manuals, and find out if its MIDI parameter 70 or 71 that controls Oscillator 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 in the synthesizer. I admit, its takes considerably longer than 'the old method' of mine, but as a bonus, you can really open up the sound of your synths.

The thing about this song that I really liked, was the retard timing. And on top of that, the switchback on the rhythm, for example.

1 - - 2 - - 3 - - 4 - - 5 - - 6 - - 7 - - 8
b bs b bs b bs b b bs b bs b bs b s b

Where B's = Kicks, S's equal Snares, And the numbers on top are the meter(3/3). So, halfway through each bar, the drums reverse roles, and the Snare becomes the 'kick'....sorry, i forgot all technical terms, its early monday morning.

Anyway, I like that, and I like the simple layout...And then for the sound of drums getting chunky, there is the original track, and two duplicates of it, ran through a distortion pedal each, panned close left and close right, bass dropped out via EQ, and then fades on them as to build up the chaos to a messy end. Theres actually a much better version of the track I meant to put online today, but I left the files at home...

Thanks again for the listen, I appreciate it.

Puustinen 08-03-2004 02:54 AM

Hello everyone!

I just had to share this with you:

Everything Burns (campfire mix)

This is what happened when the recording button was pressed down for the FIRST TIME on my PT LE 6.4 (MBOX) system. The singer and the guitarist from our band had an idea of doing an unplugged version of one of our songs. This gave me a chance to try my new livingroom "studio" in action.

This was all tracked in 2 steps last friday night. First we recorded the guitars and bass on one take as you can hear from the mistakes Then we did the vocals. In all it took us about 6 hours to get track and mix.

I know it's not a master piece but for my first session on PT I'm pretty happy with it

Any kind of feedback is more than welcome.

Thanks for listening!!!

Jarkko

Roy Howell 08-03-2004 10:05 AM

Quote:

Hey Roy,

I just had to post this little bit. Here's the story. My aunt asked me to convert all of their old 8mm film to DVD. I asked them what would they like for sound in the background, the clicking of the projector was not an option .

Well, they have an old player piano, and a whole mess of music rolls for it. Saturday I went over and recorded about an hours worth of this stuff. I hope you enjoy, I am !

http://www.s94545301.onlinehome.us/m...arge_01_03.mp3

Take Care,
Gene

Gene,
That's amazing.....we need that piano in the DUC Bar and Grill... ...good job on recording it too. Very cool...
-Roy

Roy Howell 08-03-2004 10:14 AM

8mm OD/Robb-
Quote:

Roy, you never answered my emails so I gave up. I think I owe you a poster or shirt or something.

Robb,
I do hope you're kidding with me...I would never ignore your emails. There was a period where my email got somehow messed up and wouldn't allow certain senders through (like Paul Curtiz and Bastiaan, I think). It got complicated, so I set up the extra Yahoo email that's listed here.

And yes, I'm still waiting for my T-shirts, posters, autographed 8mm OD guitar, etc......

toddamo 08-03-2004 11:41 AM

Hey Beautiful People,

Here's a new song!

It's called I COULD BE WRONG.

The Mp3 lives here:

http://bartlebymusic.com/wrongpage.html

It's me on voice and instruments and noises:

Fruityloops, Roland XP-30 keyboard, Lexicon MPX-100 reverb, T-Racks Mastering suite.

It's kind of slow, melancholic kind of thing. Dreaming.

Thanks for listening,

-todd amodeo

Megalodon 08-03-2004 11:55 AM

ok, here's my first submission to this or any forum. Its a Dub Reggae track, so I wanted to have a little lo-fi feel to it. As in the dub from the seventies out of King Tubby's studio, I'm using spring reverb and tape echo alot. I'd love to get some input on how the mix sounds - I don't trust my ears at all these days.

"Blackbird"

- Derek

IntelDoc 08-03-2004 08:22 PM

All,
Have not posted on this section for awhile. Here is a song from a band that I finished up tonight. They are called THE GREENLINE and are from Washington D.C. I really started to dig these guys. Very LO-FI punk rock. This to me is one of their better tunes and really has a cool STROKES feel. They tracked at a friends studio because I was out of town. Then he went out of town so the mixed at my studio. They are VERY happy with the overall sound and result. I will put other samples on my website.

Pretty much got everything as clean and compressed as I could, then they wanted to dirty the vocals so we added Antares Tube in DEVIL MODE Just a smidge of distortion and it set it just right.

Enjoy,

SMALL MAMMAL HOUSE

- DOC

scottedog 08-03-2004 08:26 PM

Sorry, Doc, I'd like to hear it but my funbox says the link no worky.

IntelDoc 08-03-2004 08:51 PM

Dawg!
Try again.. I fixed it as you were trying..

SMALL MAMMAL HOUSE

Sorry bout that!

- Doc