Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   How to insert external processor on Master fader (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=242109)

jlnelson19 03-21-2009 12:03 PM

How to insert external processor on Master fader

I'm reasonably versed in audio I/O, but it's not clear to me how to do external inserts in Pro Tools. I have a Maxx BCL connected to my 002 via the SPDIF in/outs. I insert the S/PDIF Left-Right insert on the master fader, but I lose all the sound, and the BCL shows no audio input. Why is audio not being routed to the BCL and back to the 002?

How do you set up external inserts in general?

flommer 03-21-2009 12:22 PM

Re: How to insert external processor on Master fader

One obvious thing is that your spdif ports can't be used anywhere else in the session.

I'd also take a hard look at the Setup>hardware page. Optical format should be ADAT..

clock source could possibly be either internal OR SPDIF(RCA).. Try both..

I'd also test the thing using a send/return via a couple auxes or something just to see if the "hardware insert" aspect of it is causing a problem..

jlnelson19 03-21-2009 01:25 PM

still doesn't work. why would the optical format be ADAT when I'm using SPDIF?

But forget that for a minute. How would you insert a regular analog stereo compressor in Pro Tools? There are inputs and outputs on the 002, but no "insert" connections.

albee1952 03-21-2009 02:13 PM

In the I/O setup page, there is a tab for assigning ports for hardware inserts. A simpler way around this would be to assign your master to to a set of outputs and record the processed signal to a new stereo track for export.

jlnelson19 03-21-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 1371481)
A simpler way around this would be to assign your master to to a set of outputs and record the processed signal to a new stereo track for export.

This is exactly the step I'm trying to bypass. It would save a lot of time to not have to do this every time.

Which output in the I/O setup corresponds to the optical In/Out on the 002?

jlnelson19 03-21-2009 02:39 PM

Well, I can get signal to the BCL by setting the output on one of the other tracks to ADAT 1-2. How come this doesn't work on the master fader?

flommer 03-21-2009 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlnelson19 (Post 1371456)
still doesn't work. why would the optical format be ADAT when I'm using SPDIF?

But forget that for a minute. How would you insert a regular analog stereo compressor in Pro Tools? There are inputs and outputs on the 002, but no "insert" connections.

If the optical format is not ADAT, then it is SPDIF and the rCA SPDIF connectors will be disabled

Are you using optical or RCA connections?

You have to use the physical inputs and outputs AS the inserts.. It's not really in-line inserts like on a console. It just depends on what you assign them to do from within ProTools.