Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Help! Getting Random Pops while using ADAT/OO2R with PT12.5 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=420255)

session48 05-18-2022 08:27 AM

Help! Getting Random Pops while using ADAT/OO2R with PT12.5

3 Attachment(s)
I'm coming from a Mac G5 with PT 7.4 to Windows 10 with PT12.5. I'm getting Random Pops while using ADAT/OO2R.

I'm using a Focusrite ISA428 with Adat Card(Clock) with the 002R. I wasn't having this problem with the old Mac unless somehow the clock got switch to internal on the 002.

If I'm recording into the inputs of the 002R directly , I get no pops, but if I go in with the ADAT, I get the Pops. I've replace the ADAT cable, and check the hardware and playback setting. Can't figure it out

I've attached screen shots of the problem. Any info would be appreciated!

Thank you

EGS 05-18-2022 08:46 AM

Re: Help! Getting Random Pops while using ADAT/OO2R with PT12.5

002 internal clock i.e. master. Set adat expander to external clock i.e. slave.

session48 05-18-2022 05:48 PM

Thanks for the reply! EGS

Not sure if this is what you meant, but I set the 002R to internal clock source and left the optical format on ADAT. Restarted the PC and still the same problem. I even tried to set the EXT. on ISA to word clock.

With the G5 and the 002 , I just had the clock set to ADAT with no problem

Top Jimmy 05-18-2022 07:30 PM

Unfortunately you’re running with the legacy ASIO driver which never got the love that the DAE or AAE driver got. It sounds like you’re selecting the external ADAT input as the clock source but the driver may not really be switching.

TRY sending word clock from the 002 to the ISA428 and sync the ISA428 to the word clock input. Leave the 002 clock on internal. The benefit of this is that you can create or open sessions with different sample rates and the ISA428 will sync up automatically.

session48 05-19-2022 05:36 AM

Thanks for the reply Jimmy!

Quote:

It sounds like you’re selecting the external ADAT input as the clock source but the driver may not really be switching.
Yes that's the way I did it with the Mac and PT7.4. Never had a problem.

Quote:

TRY sending word clock from the 002 to the ISA428 and sync the ISA428 to the word clock input. Leave the 002 clock on internal. The benefit of this is that you can create or open sessions with different sample rates and the ISA428 will sync up automatically.
I set the 002R to internal clock source and left the optical format on ADAT in the Hardware Control Panel. Then set the EXT. button on ISA to word clock.
When I tried to record a audio track through the ISA , I get a signal in the ISA but nothing on the the record armed track in PT.

I'm I setting this up right or is there a different way?

Thanks for the help

EGS 05-19-2022 07:10 AM

Forget about what USED TO work. The 002 does not have wordclock. Connect optical to AND from the ISA (both), & set ISA to ext clock via adat optical (not WC).

albee1952 05-19-2022 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EGS (Post 2637398)
Forget about what USED TO work. The 002 does not have wordclock. Connect optical to AND from the ISA (both), & set ISA to ext clock via adat optical (not WC).

Sadly, I don't remember the ISA digital card having a lightpipe input, so there is no way to clock this with the ISA as slave from the 002R. My best advice is to dump the 002R and find a used 003R. That does have word clock IO which offers more ways to clock(including making the ISA the slave). That's the "budget" solution. The better solution would be a new interface, which will sound better(but cost a lot more). If you don't need to maximize the number of inputs, feed the ISA analog into the 002R inputs 5 thru 8(not ideal, but probably fine for your application):o

Top Jimmy 05-19-2022 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2637410)
Sadly, I don't remember the ISA digital card having a lightpipe input, so there is no way to clock this with the ISA as slave from the 002R. My best advice is to dump the 002R and find a used 003R. That does have word clock IO which offers more ways to clock(including making the ISA the slave). That's the "budget" solution. The better solution would be a new interface, which will sound better(but cost a lot more). If you don't need to maximize the number of inputs, feed the ISA analog into the 002R inputs 5 thru 8(not ideal, but probably fine for your application):o

+1

EGS 05-19-2022 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2637410)
Sadly, I don't remember the ISA digital card having a lightpipe input, so there is no way to clock this with the ISA as slave from the 002R...

Ah, I see. Could his 002R slave to the ISA via adat optical?

session48 05-19-2022 05:31 PM

Thanks again!

Quote:

Ah, I see. Could his 002R slave to the ISA via adat optical?
With my G5/002R, I had the ISA with digital card hook-up with one optical cable from the ISA into the 002R . 002R control panel set to Clock: ADAT. It was simple and everything work. If for some reason the 002r would be switched back to internal, then I would get the random pops, but as soon as I set it back to ADAT. There was no problem

Quote:

The 002 does not have wordclock. Connect optical to AND from the ISA (both), & set ISA to ext clock via adat optical (not WC)
I couldn't try to connect optical to AND from the ISA (both) in and out. The ISA only has 2 ADAT outputs. On the Hardware Set-up Digi ASIO Control Panel I tried setting the Clock source to both Internal and ADAT. The Optical format its either ADAT or SPDIF , so that's set to ADAT. Pro Tools sees the ASI inputs and I can record, but I get those pops on the tracks. I can draw them out with the pencil tool, but it's a pain.

If I record using one of the 002R inputs , I don't have a problem, only with a track armed to record with ADAT input. I assume PT12.5 doesn't work with the 002R and external ADAT. The 002R and PT 12.5 is only good by itself.

I guess I have to start looking into another interface or the 003R like albee1952 suggested.:mad: