Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Emagic Logic vs ProTools & Logic (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=42013)

AM 11-03-2001 03:26 AM

Emagic Logic vs ProTools & Logic

I’m a rather confused newbie.

1. Why do people use Logic together with ProTools. Having one application for MIDI and another for audio seems complicated. One answer I’ve heard is that the MIDI timing and functionality in ProTools is poor. Why not then do everything in Logic, or is Logic audio poor?

2. I have the setup that probably most people on this forum have. A Mac G4 with ProTools 001 and ProTools LE. Could I use Logic for both audio and MIDI using the 001 for inputs and outputs? What would be the disadvantages and advantages with this?

3. If I wanted to use Logic for MIDI only with ProTools for audio, which Logic version should I choose (Platinum, Gold, Silver etc)

Thanks.

simonjbinks 11-03-2001 05:00 AM

Re: Emagic Logic vs ProTools & Logic

I use Logic Audio 4.8.1 and Pro Tools LE 5.1, however I've been too lazy to use Logic as a front end midi sequencer and Pro Tools as the audio recorder.

However, Pro Tools sounds much better that Logic. There has been much debate over this on the Logic Users group, but I swear it's true.

However again, Logic has a more comprehensive midi system.

Using Logic as the front end and Pro Tools as the audio recorder is certainly a serious consideration.

Simon Binks

Hank5 11-03-2001 08:58 AM

I use Logic Platinum as my front end sequencer only because it's what I've used for years. It doesn't make Digi's sequencer useless. I'm just accustomed to doing all of my sequencing in Logic then exporting the file as a MIDI standard file to Pro Tools to do the Audio Portion. Why not do it all in Logic, Audio as well?? Frankly, Logic has a strange layout for audio that; to me is just too backwards. Not to say it doesn't work. It's just one too many windows for me to worry about. A typical session for me is Sequence in Logic>Export as a MIDI Std file to Pro Tools>Drop the MIDI sounds>Cut Vocals. All in Two windows.
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

j creasey 11-03-2001 10:19 AM

i use both! logic platinum 4.8 and pt le
both using the digi 001 for the front end.
and as far as pt sounding better than lam i would have to disagree ! but to each there own [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] i use logic for my post production work and pt for everything else
and the reasons are.
lam
128 tracks
score feature (even for audio)
lower cpu overhead
better midi
96k for dvd work
advanced routing
universal track mode
SMPTE timline
i use a quicksilver 867 and the track and plugin count for logic makes pro tools quite mickey mouse.after all try 52 audio
tracks and 40 plugins in pt (oh! thats right
you can only have 24 ) but dont get me wrong they are both great systems but logic is much more flexible and complex
in the fact that pro tools is layed out in a way that its tells you how to do things where as in logic you have to tell the system how you want things done.
granted i find logic complex for audio editing but like everthing once you know how its easy [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] but lets see what digi has in store for us next.

toecat 11-03-2001 03:49 PM

I agree with Mr Greasey. I think Logic audio does sound better then PT. I also think the plug-ins sound better, but everyone has their own opinion. I do use both PT and Logic, it depend on the project I am doing. I do find the editing in Logic not to be a problem. I just look at both PT & Logic as tools, and depending on the job, which one I am going to use.
If you are planning to purchase Logic and just use it for midi then buy the Gold. The midi is exactly the same as Platinum and you will save yourself a few hundred. Gold right now only supports 32 tracks, less plug-ins and is only 16 bit. It will be 24 bit in Jan. when Logic 5.0 comes out

Toecat

AM 11-04-2001 08:21 AM

Thanks for your replies. Two more questions.

1. If I use Logic for both audio and MIDI, can I use the Digi 001 for inputs and outputs, and how do I do this?

2. If I buy Waves Gold plug-in bundle, can I use the plug ins in both Logic and PTLE?

Ta very much.

j creasey 11-04-2001 09:18 AM

yes to both [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] you can run logic through oms and use the digi ports and it works just fine also you can use waves like i do on logic but you have to create a vst folder (if you dont have one)and put that folder into your logic app folder and then put the waves VST plugin shell into your vst plugins folder that vst pluginshell
will use the waves plugs in your DAE folder so DONT move the plugins themselves.then the fist time you use waves in logic it will ask you to locate the plugs so then choose them in your dae folder and thats it.also all your oms objects WILL appear in logic.
good luck
james

swing lee 11-04-2001 10:21 AM

if you are intrested in purchasing logic check out sweetwater.com they have a special bundel of logi gold and exs24 for $429

AM 11-05-2001 10:17 AM

James, thanks for the reply. By using Logic through OMS don't you then run into latency problems? I understand OMS is a real problem (old code etc) and one of the reasons I was considering Logic is that it has its own MIDI drivers that work well with Emagic MIDI interfaces. Any thoughts?

wazoo 11-05-2001 11:55 AM

"96k for dvd work"

Are you implying that you can do 96k with the Digi001?