Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Windows (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Mic "suddenly" stopped working (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=318122)

RichWilley 02-24-2012 06:43 PM

Mic "suddenly" stopped working

I'm using PT10 with M-Audio Fast Track Pro on a Windows 7 computer. My mic is an EV RE20, about a month old.

Today I recorded several tracks and everything was going pretty well except for some static.

I looked up static here and found a post where a guy used compressed air to clean all the connections on his Fast Track Pro, so I did that, and ever since I have no mic through either channel.

Was that the cause, or is it just a coincidence and I'm not seeing what's really going on?

Thanks in advance.

albee1952 02-24-2012 08:52 PM

Re: Mic "suddenly" stopped working

Static and distortion is about all I get from my Fast Track Pro in PT9. I think M-Audio needs to deliver a better driver(it works fine in MP8).

BobbyDazzler 02-25-2012 05:01 AM

Check that you don't have phantom power (48v) applied.
RE20 is one of the only dynamic mics that seems to go screwy when you feed it phantom.

RichWilley 02-25-2012 05:25 AM

Phantom power is off.

In Pro Tools it doesn't even allow me to choose Input 1 or Input 2. Is that an indicator that the Fast Track Pro is malfunctioning? I've tried my mic in both channels and it doesn't make any difference, I'm not able to access it.

Thanks for helping . . . I'm so new at this and frustrated like you can't imagine.

albee1952 02-25-2012 11:19 AM

Check under the Hardware menu to see that the Fast Track is the selected audio engine.

RichWilley 02-25-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 1905891)
Check under the Hardware menu to see that the Fast Track is the selected audio engine.

Yes, it's been set that way all along. A buddy of mine who runs a recording studio in town is coming over tomorrow to see if he can figure it all out. In the course of our phone conversation it sounds to him like everything ought to work . . . yet it doesn't.

More will be revealed. :-)

I appreciate all the help!

The Weed 02-25-2012 02:48 PM

Try "Defaulting" the I/O setup in Pro Tools.

Cheers,

RichWilley 02-25-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Weed (Post 1905938)
Try "Defaulting" the I/O setup in Pro Tools.

Cheers,

You are a GENIUS!!! That worked like magic . . . I haven't been this happy in . . . well, in a long time.

Thank you so much!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, and THANK YOU!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

panamajack 02-26-2012 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichWilley (Post 1905659)
... I ... found a post where a guy used compressed air to clean all the connections ..., so I did that, and ever since I have no mic through either channel...

Do you think the compressed air blast changed your setup for I/O connections?

mano111 02-26-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panamajack (Post 1906112)
do you think the compressed air blast changed your setup for i/o connections?

:d:d:d