Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ProControl, Control|24, Command|8 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Command 8 LED meters are dead (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=416536)

Ben Jenssen 08-08-2021 01:18 PM

Command 8 LED meters are dead

It's ancient, I know, but I got it for almost nothing a couple of years ago, and now, in combination w/SSL UC1 plugin controller, I have a way to mix without looking at screens, and I love it.
The Command 8 is still working thru the latest versions of PT, I guess because of the simple midi communication it uses for connection.

The LED meters don't work. They never did. Except I'm quite shure I remember them working before, but only slightly lighting up the -48db LED. But I didn't care, and just left it. I remember searching for a way to have them be "louder" without succes.

Now, as I'm putting together a setup w/UC1 that lets me mix without looking at screens, I really could use the visual feedback of those meters.

I did the Command 8 utility check, and the LEDs themselves are working fine, so I guess it's a question of PT meter data not getting to the C8. Everything else is working fine.

Any thoughts? Anything at all.

Ben Jenssen 08-08-2021 02:20 PM

Re: Command 8 LED meters are dead

Thinking again, I'm pretty certain that the LED meters worked with PT10, but I found them almost useless because only the bottom two would light up, simply because track levels were mostly under -15dbfs or so.

And I guess with all the new functionality of meters in PT, they didn't bother to preserve C8 compatibility.

I tried "Pro tools classic" option in metering preferences, and all the other options, without any luck.

Oh, well… :o

JFreak 08-08-2021 02:27 PM

Sorry, but C8 end of support date was something like summer of 2017. I know for a fact it works with PT10 but current systems may have a problem.

Ben Jenssen 08-08-2021 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2610034)
Sorry, but C8 end of support date was something like summer of 2017. I know for a fact it works with PT10 but current systems may have a problem.

Shure. But everything else works fine with the C8, nothing wrong except the meters. I'm using it quite extensively, more and more, now that I have the "virtual SSL console" functionality of the UC1.

Ben Jenssen 08-08-2021 05:45 PM

HA!
I solved it!
I uninstalled EUCon, restarted and Voi-la, PT feeds meter signals to the old C8! And with 'peak volume' selected in prefs, and input monitoring off, I get the visual feedback that I need on the Command 8.

I haven't found the Control app on ipad to be anything for me, anyway.

smurfyou 08-09-2021 02:16 PM

I use the Command 8 in conjunction with the PT Control app and see the same behavior. The little meters on the C8 are almost worthless IMO, they're basically activity lights.

It's stated somewhere that Eucon takes over metering priority if used with another control protocol. So it's not just a C8 issue.

JFreak 08-09-2021 02:21 PM

Oh yea, I actually forgot it because there is absolutely zero reason to use ipad with my live rig. EUCON not installed.

Ben Jenssen 08-09-2021 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurfyou (Post 2610144)
The little meters on the C8 are almost worthless IMO, they're basically activity lights.

Shure. But that's the only thing I need them for; when mixing off-screen, they tell me where there's activity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurfyou (Post 2610144)
It's stated somewhere that Eucon takes over metering priority if used with another control protocol. So it's not just a C8 issue.

Right. That's what I'm seeing.