Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Windows (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   PT9 - is it Win7 or nothing? or is XP possible? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=309294)

TheSon 10-19-2011 09:57 AM

PT9 - is it Win7 or nothing? or is XP possible?

Hi,

I really want to go up to PT9 but really still like Win XP... Will it work in XP (despite lack of support) or is it really only Win7?

Thanks,
Jason.

TOM@METRO 10-19-2011 12:18 PM

Re: PT9 - is it Win7 or nothing? or is XP possible?

Trust me on this. You will want a 64bit version of Win7 if you are a serious user. (or a Mac)

daeron80 10-19-2011 01:28 PM

+1 ^^

I used it for a few weeks in XP, and it worked OK for some things. All I did with it during that time was mix a few things. I did not attempt to track audio. Other than a couple plug-in conflicts, I was able to mix, and it was a wonderful improvement over 7.3, from which I upgraded to 9.

However, the MIDI driver did not work. I could play back MIDI to VIs, and could edit MIDI tracks, but the MIDI I/O ports on my 002R did not work. Once I upgraded to Win7 (and believe me, it's a delightful upgrade - best thing that ever happened to Windows, and I've been using it since 2.x), everything worked perfectly. It's more solid than my Mac system at work, although I suspect that system has something weird with the permissions. Anyway, yeah, you can limp by with XP if you only need certain basic features. But it's like putting a smart car engine in a Ferrari. Really no point if there's any way you can avoid it.

Benoni 10-19-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM@METRO (Post 1845615)
Trust me on this. You will want a 64bit version of Win7 if you are a serious user. (or a Mac)

+2

Rob_A 10-19-2011 05:32 PM

I run PT9.0.5 on win7 64bit in my home studio and have PT9.0.3 running on my XP pro sp3, HP dual core laptop so I can mess with stuff while on the road (for my real job) or just not in the studio.
Not big sessions yet thow, 15 audio tracks, a few midi tracks, a couple VSTi but they are growing fast.....!!! :D
I have all my sessions on a USB ultra ATA 300gig drive (stored in a little zipper case complete with a slot for my iLock), fly stuff from studio to laptop, very mobile and practical, so far have had no issues but like I said, my sessions aren't that big yet.

Cheers
Rob

rhythmtechnologies 10-20-2011 04:59 AM

for my setup it works perfectly on XP SP3 for recording and editing (i7 920 oc'd to 3ghz). i dont mix on it though (i mix in reaper) and i would imagine it may become problematic under heavy cpu load.

BradLyons 10-20-2011 05:14 AM

Windows Vista was an absolute nightmare of an operating system for audio and video---heck, the OS itself was one anyway. But Win7 really did change that and is actually a very powerful, stable OS providing you have a very good computer build of course. Moving forward, XP is old technology----no one is going to be writing new drivers for an OS that has been replaced years ago. With that said I can't say officially that WinXP will work or not, but I will say that Windows 7 is where you should be.

TheSon 10-21-2011 12:41 PM

Thanks all! - Was curious but you've sold me. Gone and bought win7 + PT9. Just backing up a load of crap then shutting down to start over with Win7-64.

Cheers,
Jason.