Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Panther + PTLe 6.2.2 + OLDER TiBooks / iBooks HERE (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=89650)

Henry Lee 11-21-2003 04:31 PM

Panther + PTLe 6.2.2 + OLDER TiBooks / iBooks HERE

Greetings all... how about a thread dedicated to us running older
lappy tops - ie TiBooks & iBooks (all revs) using mBoxes & 002rs?

No disrespect to the G5 / Panther guys... would just be nice to have
a thread dedicated to laptops. (Might be a good idea to start another
thread for iMacs too and another for 001's on G4 Towers. Any takers?)

I'm contemplating taking the Panther route soon. Might be nice to
see all the results compiled in one place!

So if you've got an older (i.e. NO LONGER SHIPPING) Powerbook G4, iBook or older,
mBox, 002, 002r + Panther + PTLe 6.2.2, let's see what you've got!

Post away!

Best,
HL

brando77 11-21-2003 11:04 PM

Re: Panther + PTLe 6.2.2 + OLDER TiBooks / iBooks

I have an ibook G3 800 MHz. Still running in jaguar (10.2.8). I'd love to upgrade to panther but it's not supported. I too would like to know if anyone has tried panther + PT with an ibook G3. Does anyone think that they will ever support ibook G3's?

Slim Shady 11-21-2003 11:33 PM

Re: Panther + PTLe 6.2.2 + OLDER TiBooks / iBooks HERE

TiBook 1Ghz / 1GB RAM with Mbox here.

6.2.2 is running great w/10.3.1, I just spent about 5 hours working on several projects with it and I'm very impressed. It's been very solid for me, and so far no -9136 errors to report - hooray! I don't really notice a performance difference aside from the general 'panther' speed boost the whole system seems get, I don't think I'm getting more plugs or anything, but it does feel much more solid and concrete than any other PT6.x release so far in my experience. We'll see how that holds up after I log a few more hours with it. Initially had a few problems with Logic and CoreAudio, but haven't had much time to test that out further.

Keep 'em coming folks!

joesmohello 11-22-2003 12:13 AM

I've got an 800 mhz iBook running 10.2.8 with an Mbox, but I'm on the verge of getting Panther. I am a bit hesitant because things are going fairly smoothly for me right now so long as I don't have any other apps running while usiing PT. It would drive me crazy if i bought Panther and had to let it sit on my desk for a while.

howlco 11-22-2003 12:44 AM

Ti book 400 / 1gig of ram /2x120 lacie fw drives with 6.2.2 and panther loaded up a 24 minute show with 13 tracks of audio and a video track (mjpeg a qtime movie .. it seems to play but just gives me errors like ...holding off cpu ... audio processing is conflicting... not to good .. as all these sessions were done in os 9.2.2 with Am111 card on Magma expansion chassis scsi 2x 18 gig 10k drivesand worked flawless for 2 seasons of Television series.. I know there's a G5 with my name on it .. sure would be nice .... But....

Henry Lee 11-22-2003 01:35 AM

Thanks for posting guys... I have a feeling I'll fall somewhere in the middle
between Slim and howlco with a 550mhz Rev2 TiBook w/ 768ram.

Thanks Slim. As you pointed out, even if it's a marginal "Panther speed boost"
and it's solid I'll go for it since my needs are rather modest. howlco, that's nuts that you
can get a 24 minute video track in there! Even with the errors that's pretty crazy.
Maybe something will heal or you'll find a workaround to get it smoothed out?

Again, thanks guys. I'm floored (in a good way) that my Tibook has made it this far
with OSX / PT6. If Panther can tighten up or make things a bit more snappy for all my other
apps and stilll have PT6 as solid as it is in 10.2.6, I'm set 'til G5 Powerbooks arrive!
Heck I might even get Panther tomorrow and give it a whirl.

Keep the posts coming... even after Digi gets around to formally supporting
some of the older laptops.

mmm... sleeeeeepy.
HL

megahurt 12-08-2003 11:01 AM

1 GHZ TiBook / 1 GB ram / Panther

Just installed 6.2.2 last night with MBox. Haven't had much time to experiment... Digi says this machine is not supported, correct? If so, that blows. Should I expect good performance?

Henry Lee 12-08-2003 11:22 AM

Thanks megahurt for reminding me to post my own update...

I finally gave in and did my Panther update along with PT Le 6.2.2
last week. So far so good. Panther is snappier and I've only witnessed
one glitch in the Mail App thus far. The entire process worked flawlessly
without any of the horror stories I was reading about other peoples
upgrades to 10.3. Plus, Panther hasn't broken any of my other apps
yet. Amazing.

I'll put the little bugger through its paces this week now that I have
all my Firewire HD firmware update / reformat done too. But so far, so
good on my Powerbook. Next up, my 17" iMac!

I'll post my session results in the coming days.

Specs:
G4 Powerbook 550mhz
768 RAM
OS 10.3.1
20gig HD
80gig FW HD
PT Le 6.2.2
002r

mike.x 12-08-2003 01:24 PM

Re: Panther + PTLe 6.2.2 + OLDER TiBooks / iBooks

Hi, Long post but please read.

Did a FLAWLESS session in 10.2.8 on my PB 17" 1.33 with 002R the other week running at 256 samples buffer. Recorded a band while sending 2 seperate headphone mixes through software NOT RUNNING LOW LATENCY MONITORING. They were not aware of any latency.

System Usage was high and Spiking so I suppressed errors in the preferences and got through the session running up to 28 tracks (off external FW400 drive) with a couple of DVerbs for the foldback mixes. AT NO POINT did I get a stoppage or crash over two days of recording.

OK so this is impressive but to the original question. I connected up the drive to my 700MHz iBook running 6.2.2 in 10.3.1 and the session ran perfectly with system usage down at 20% at 512samples.

I booted the Powerbook 17" into 10.3.1 and ran the session at 256 and the system meter hardly moved. NO SPIKES. The option to continue playback on errors hadn't been checked but the session played without a problem.

THE MORAL/POINT OF THE STORY

I think 10.3.1 is very stable and appreciably quicker than 10.2.6, 10.2.8. PTLE 6.2.2 is exactly the same - very stable and more efficient of resources. I couldn't believe I could run the sessions happily on my iBook. I am getting a Mbox at Christmas so I can run sessions across 2 machines. 64 tracks etc synched over MTC and SPDIF!! I will maybe go TDM when I can afford it and I need all that mix processing power, but I can do 98% of what I need using LE on Panther.

You should be able to do serious work on an iBook or old powerbook with the current OS and PT software. My iBook isn't supported under this config but it works fine.

Good Luck and Happy Recording

Mike Exeter

bob Ancona 12-09-2003 02:23 AM

Believe it or not, I've got an Mbox, 10.3.1 and 6.2.2 running on a 500 MHz iBook (dual USB) with 640 megs of RAM. It's more stable and smoother than 10.2.8 and 6.x.x.