Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Automation adding distortion? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=259846)

D3lta 11-21-2009 02:57 PM

Automation adding distortion?

I'm running Pro Tools 8.0 (original, un updated) and I'm doing automation on a mix and I'm hearing what seems to be distortion where the automation is happening. Has any one else experienced this? I'm trying to figure out if it's a product of the software, or the computer not keeping up.

rqstudio 11-21-2009 05:03 PM

Re: Automation adding distortion?

Not quite enough info, does it sound like zipper noise or does it only happen when you turn the volume up on something? Without knowing more I can only suggest you bring all the faders down, (group all) this way you won't have to change all the automation moves. You can highlight all the channels, put them in volume edit mode and drag them all down 5db's or so. Select a point after the end of the song, make sure they all go down beginning to end not just another breakpoint.)

The Weed 11-21-2009 06:05 PM

Do you have a Master Fader? Is it at unity? If so, follow the advice above. If not, put up a Master Fader at unity. Is it clipping? If so, follow the advice above.

Cheers,

D3lta 11-22-2009 02:53 PM

The master fader is well below unity, and nothing is clipping. The sound is like a digital garbling..or worbling. I have my drums, rhytm, main gtr, bass and vocals all in their respective groups. It's when the automation occurs is makes the worbling noise on the vocals. I've done other automation passes with gtr and it doesn't seem to do it.

scottedog 11-22-2009 05:15 PM

Long shot maybe but is it an Elastic Audio type warble?

D3lta 11-22-2009 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottedog (Post 1501018)
Long shot maybe but is it an Elastic Audio type warble?

Elastic Audio isn't even enabled :( It's really bizarre.

AlexLakis 11-22-2009 06:15 PM

Does changing the buffer size, disk buffer, etc. in the Playback Engine preferences have any effect on it?

D3lta 11-22-2009 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexLakis (Post 1501039)
Does changing the buffer size, disk buffer, etc. in the Playback Engine preferences have any effect on it?

I have not tried that, but I will once I get back to the studio.

natedawg3973 09-27-2022 10:18 PM

13 years later --- and this is happening to me in PT12 on a Studio MAX ... did you ever figure out the problem? :(

Darryl Ramm 09-27-2022 10:47 PM

Pro Tools 12 on a Studio Max???, however you managed to get that to work, is likely to explain this and many other problems you will have.

The OP has not been here for like a decade... and it's extremely unlikely there is any relation between whatever you are seeing and what they saw.