Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Amp outputs level issue (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=298614)

Deny 04-06-2011 05:51 AM

Amp outputs level issue

Can you confirm that the amp outputs are consumer level? If they are, why is that so since the recommended way to connect them is to a power amp which would take line level?

Please, please don't tell me to use the main outs if I want line level, I need to be able to control my personal monitors from the front panel of the 11R, independently from the main outs (which go to FOH).

I want to use my brand new QSC K10 as my monitoring solution but it only takes line level signals and therefore the 11R doesn't have enough output. Is there any DIY mod that I can perform on my unit to solve this? It puzzles me that Avid didn't include a -10 dBu / +4 dBu switch for the amp outs.

derker 04-06-2011 08:15 AM

Re: Amp outputs level issue

I believe the Amp Outs were designed to go into the Input of a guitar amp, so their signal will be significantly lower than the Main Outs. And yes, if you want a line level balanced signal, you have to get it from the Main Outs.

Deny 04-06-2011 12:53 PM

From the Eleven Rack User Guide, page 40:

"Because Eleven Rack simulates various preamps
and tone circuits, you may want to bypass
your amp’s preamp and tone circuitry
by plugging into the amplifier’s effects return
jack(s), if available, rather than the
standard input(s). If your amp does not
have an effects loop, try setting the amp
controls for maximum transparency (EQ
flat, gain stages set to clean.)"

I'm so used to reading "Amp FX Return" as if it was the same thing as "Power Amp input" I misinterpreted this paragraph, but I still think there should be a switch or a software option allowing for -10dBu / +4 dBU selection.

Anyway has anyone faced a similar problem? I will *not* use the Main Outs for monitoring, period - for me that goes to FOH and should not be messed with, the sound guy can't have me messing with the guitar level mid song or between songs because I've set it too high or too low in my monitors.

So far my best idea is to buy an inexpensive Behringer XENYX 802 mixer for coupling the levels of the 11R and K10, what do you think? Besides it comes with a 3 band EQ which would also come in handy, and I'm almost certain it fits my pedalboard.

Darryl Ramm 04-06-2011 01:29 PM

Just checking - you do have the Amp1 or Amp2 (whichever output you are using) output level turned up enough? They are both separate from other volume/output level controls.

Darryl

Deny 04-06-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 1778850)
Just checking - you do have the Amp1 or Amp2 (whichever output you are using) output level turned up enough? They are both separate from other volume/output level controls.

Darryl

Yes, carefully monitored with the patch level meters in order to avoid clipping. My front panel volume knob is assigned to Amp1 & Amp2 Outputs. I'm not saying it isn't loud when turned all the way up, but it's not nearly 580W (effective RMS power of the K10) loud. It's about as loud as my 80W combo amp - not that I want to get into the demolition business, but I want to have the option of using all that headroom I've paid a lot of money for (K10 costs no less than US$ 1,500 in Brazil).

Lution 04-06-2011 02:20 PM

Can you assign the front panel volume knob to only adjust the amp 1 and 2 outputs?

I may have missed this in the manual. That's cool if possible.

TheChimp 04-06-2011 02:35 PM

Yes, if you go to User Options>Volume Control.

You can have the main VOLUME knob control:

Main Outs
Out to Amp 1
Out to Amp 2
Out to Amp 1&2
All

It's really handy for doing Rig balancing when using the Outputs to Amp.

TheChimp 04-06-2011 02:37 PM

@deny: The Outputs to Amp are basically Instrument level. They are meant to emulate the level of a guitar plugged straight into an Amp, so you will not get as hot a level. They're really designed to feed actual guitar amplifiers, not FRFR systems.

I just bought 2 K10's a couple days ago, and they're awesome as you know. If you need more volume, use the Main outs straight to the QSC's, and run the OTA's to your studio monitors. That should do it.

Deny 04-06-2011 03:28 PM

I always like my stage monitor level adjustments to be independent from what goes to FOH, that's why I can't use the main outputs for monitoring. But I believe I have this one figured out, I'm going to connect Amp1 and Amp2 outputs to one of these ;)